AutoInstall CD-ROM Builder

Ok, starting to play with the tool.

@all

Basically, Justin-Credible has made a nice tool to achieve the method described Deploying Windows XP, Using the Windows PE

Booting from a Windows PE CD (or DVD) which contains a copy of the operating system source files.

and allows customization of the operating system source files (unattended install + adding OEM Drivers)

and a nice GUI front-end.

have put a lot of time to make it :thumbup

I have checked the "View Build Details" to debug the build.

• You cannot use BartPE: "AutoInstall CD-ROM Builder v2.2" uses the MSFT tools located in the \WINPE folder of the "WinPE OPK CD" to build a new bootable CD.
  • My first build fails because "AutoInstall CD-ROM Builder v2.2" searchs for Factory.exe and Netcfg.exe in the \I386 folder of the "WinPE OPK CD".
    On my "WinPE OPK CD", both exe's are located in \TOOLS\X86 and in \I386\SYSTEM32
  • The "AutoInstall CD-ROM Builder v2.2" use xcopy.exe. If you're running a Lite flavor of Windows on your box, checks this command line utility has not been removed...

@Justin-Credible

Feature request:

• Section Interface: Small Banner Image
    can you add Windows 2003
  • Section Interface: we can configure "Bootup text" (loader prompt in TXTSETUP.SIF)
    can you add configure "NoGUIBoot"

How to boot the Windows Preinstall Environment from an RIS server by using PXE-enabled clients

At the line that begins "OSLoadOptions," add the /noguiboot switch. For example, type OsLoadOptions = /noguiboot /fastdetect /minint.
Question:

Section Drivers > Drivers Used During Install (Mass Storage Devices)

Are these drivers integrated to $OEM$\TEXTMODE in AI\SOURCE\I386 (OS Source)and WINNT.SIF/UNATTEND.TXT relevant section or

Are these drivers integrated to I386\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS and relevant section in TXTSETUP.SIF(WinPE)

How to add unsupported or updated third-party mass storage drivers to a customized WinPE CD

or

both?

If i add a specific mass-storage driver not included in the original Windows source CD, i need it both in WinPE to have access to the drive connected to the controller during boot and in Windows source CD to allow unattended install on the drive.

Notes: (from the help file)

AutoInstall CD-ROM Builder uses the Windows PE 1.2 image builder engine which has a known bug when using a Windows XP SP2 or Windows 2003 Server SP1 disc to build it. This bug prevents the Disk Partition command line tool (diskpart.exe) from being able to run, which will render your DiskPart scripts unusable. It is recommended that you use a regular Windows XP (or XP SP1) or a regular Windows 2003 Server disc to build your AutoInstall CD.CD.

@Justin-Credible

This problem has been solved by Bart when building BartPE CD with Windows 2003 Server SP1 or Windows XP SP2 binaries

dcomlaunch plugin

FAQ #17

Q: When I boot BartPE build from WinXP/Sp2 from CD-Rom, diskpart does not work. When I try to execute diskpart, I get the following message: The disk management services could not complete the operation.

A: You must enable the dcomlaunch plugin "RpcSS needs to launch DComLaunch Service first - SP2 only".

Maybe can you add the needed reg data and values to the hives when building WinPE?

Edited by Bilou_Gateux

Wow, didn't expect to see so many posts here! Lets see...

Bilou_Gateux-- I haven't messed with MUI packs or different languages of Windows. All I can say is... give it a try ;) I would suggest using VirtualPC or VMWare to test your disc before you burn it.

Let me clarify something here... The "Windows Installation Source CD" is the path to the files of the version of Windows you want to install on the target computers. The "Windows XP or Windows 2003 Server" is the path to a version of Windows (XP or 2003) that you will use to build the CD and its graphic interface (this has nothing to do with the OS that is installed, it simply makes the interface).

The only combination of the two that will have problems is if you are using a Windows XP SP2 or Windows 2003 Server SP1 disc as the "Windows XP or Windows 2003 Server" with Windows PE 1.2. This causes the Disk Partitioning feature to not work because of a bug in Windows PE 1.2.

I did see the Q/A about the DComLaunch Service from BartPE, but I didn't have time to get this to work in Windows PE. I do plan to fix this in the next version.

As far as files that are used from the Windows PE CD; only the files under the WINPE folder are used.

I did plan on doing a version that would allow you to use either WinPE or BartPE to build the disc, but again due to time limitations I didn't get to include that feature in this version.

As for the drivers question; The "Drivers to Install with Windows" are driver sets (.INFs with a bunch of additional files such as .SYS, .VXD, .DLL, etc). These are the drivers you normally download from the web or get from a motherboard CD.

These drivers are copied to the root of the hard drive, are are added to the unattended answer file (WINNT.SIF) so during Windows PnP hardware detection, the drivers will be automatically installed. These drivers are stored in the \AI\SOURCE\i386\$OEM$\Drivers folder on the CD.

"Drivers Used During Install (Mass Storage Drivers)" are drivers (.SYS) that you normally nload by pressing F6 during a normal install of Windows. This is a driver file that allows you to access a hard drive that may be on a SATA or SCSI controller that WinPE doesn't include by default. This gives you access to the hard drive during bootup and will allow you to install files to the HDD. These drivers are added to the TXTSETUP.SIF file and are placed in \i386\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS directory on the CD.

So if you need a mass storage driver, yes, I do believe you will also need the drivers for the "Drivers to Install with Windows" section.

Here is what I have planned for the next version:

Windows 2003 Small Banner Option

Fix spelling errors :blushing:

Support for BartPE

Ability to use the /noguiboot switch

Include XCOPY for those systems that do not have it

Thanks for the clarification.

Just received a new french WinPE 2005 OPK CD.

I have checked the \WINPE\WINPESYS.INF and new registry keys value and data are added:

;; XP SP2 Specifics;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

[AddReg.5.1.2]

HKLM,"Setup\AllowStart\DcomLaunch"

HKLM,"ControlSet001\Services\DcomLaunch","Description",0,"%REMOTE_PROCEDURE_CALL_LAUNCHER_DESCRIPTION%"
HKLM,"ControlSet001\Services\DcomLaunch","DisplayName",0,"%REMOTE_PROCEDURE_CALL_LAUNCHER_SERVICE%"
HKLM,"ControlSet001\Services\DcomLaunch","ErrorControl",0x00010001,1
HKLM,"ControlSet001\Services\DcomLaunch","Group",0x00000000,"COM Infrastructure"
HKLM,"ControlSet001\Services\DcomLaunch","ImagePath",0x00020000,"%SystemRoot%\system32\svchost.exe -k DcomLaunch"
HKLM,"ControlSet001\Services\DcomLaunch","ObjectName",0x00000000,"LocalSystem"
HKLM,"ControlSet001\Services\DcomLaunch","Start",0x00010001,2
HKLM,"ControlSet001\Services\DcomLaunch","Type",0x00010001,32
HKLM,"ControlSet001\Services\DcomLaunch\Parameters",,0x00000012
HKLM,"ControlSet001\Services\DcomLaunch\Parameters","ServiceDll",0x00020002,"%SystemRoot%\system32\rpcss.dll"

HKLM,"ControlSet001\Services\Rpcss","DependOnService",0x00010000,"DcomLaunch"

I hope it will solve the diskpart issue with the newest WinPE OPK 2004 & 2005 CDs.

You can release an intermediate release (build 200?) with only small changes which do not requires too much work:

Windows 2003 Small Banner Option

Fix spelling errors 

Ability to use the /noguiboot switch

Include XCOPY for those systems that do not have it.

It's not really necessary as most users works on regular Windows. If the file is missing, it's just as easy as copying it in our %Windir%\system32 folder.

Edited by Bilou_Gateux

Whether to me here it is interesting the given program can to collect a disk from different catalogues.

The matter is that at configuration of disks for systems w2k wXp w2k3 wXp64 it is necessary to store{keep} the same set of distribution kits in each catalogue of a target disk as I create iso an image by means of program CDIMAGE 2.47 © Microsoft, 1993-2000. The given program takes files and catalogues only from the catalogue of a source, but not the list of catalogues.

Therefore such structure is duplicated in catalogues for all systems. It borrows{occupies} a lot of place, but also very uneasily to update their contents. Use of symbolical communications{connections} under wXp has not helped{assisted}. Them CDIMAGE 2.47 for catalogues ignores! There can be your program solves this problem more elegantly, or you know the best decision?

NikLoK: I'm not sure If I understand what your question is. If you are asking if different versions of Windows files can be included on the disc... the answer is no.

cobyjones: I was able to add 6 parameters into the box (see attachment). What three are you trying to add, and in what order?

post-57900-1120175777_thumb.jpg

I can add them there without a problem. Computer Name, IP address, Subnet, and Gateway. when the autoinstall actually starts running and asks for the values, that is when i get the error. I think its usually the 3rd entry.

NikLoK: I'm not sure If I understand what your question is. If you are asking if different versions of Windows files can be included on the disc... the answer is no.

I'm sorry! I bad explan. I try say this other words. Lets begin:

I make many CD and DVD for various OS. ( w9x w2k wXp w2k3 )

The set of software is identical for ol systems, but for CD and DVD variant he has different set. I dream that this set of software will locate in ONEs places, but in time "make of ISO image" the set must be included to image from this place.

This place dont must be in catalog for OS of target CD/DVD.

Form example it will next structure of directory on hard disk:

Distributivs

W9X

WXP

W2K

W2K3

When I make DVD for WXP, on disk must directory Distributivs and contents of WXP.

In other words, on root of target disk must be Distributivs with her contens and contents of WXP.

Today when i create ISO with CDIMAGE the Distributivs placed in all system directorys (W9X WXP W2K W2K3).

I hope that it is more clearing explanation!

@NikLok-- This program doesn't allow you to include software to be installed in the CD (not from the GUI anyways, you can manually add in something like the RunOnceExec or similar to add your software). It was designed for use in an environment where you have a bunch of computers that need to be formatted/re-installed and, ideally, would have a centeral server system (Active Directory, SMS, Novell, etc...) that deploys the software for you.

@nOBeLium-- When you get the message try this: Press ALT + Space, then press M. This will allow you to use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move the error message to another part of the screen so you can see the actual message. Let me know what it says. You might also make sure your temp directory (start, run, %TEMP%) is cleared out, and you are running the program under an administrator account (ie not a limited account).