whats everyone think of world of warcraft ?

Lost Soul

i dont have it but my friend does, and omfg is it the best rpg out there. i grew up with my first online game being warII and starcraft and the whole blizzard line is amazing, warIII was an extreme improvement from warII and WoW is just increadible, go and get it now, hopefully urs comes with a 6 month subscripiton

I've been playing it since March, when I bought it and 6 months prepaid service. In the beginning it was a lot of fun, but now, as I'm in the level 40 range, it's incredibly *boring*.

WoW's quests are stale, dull and repetitive. There appear to be three kinds in the game:

1. Run and fetch!

2. Kill X number of Monster Y

3. Find the pages of book X and bring them to character Y

And...that's pretty much it. I'm doing the same quests at level 40 as I was doing at level 1. It's a complete JOKE, and the only thing tougher about these quests is that the monsters are higher level and/or you have to kill even MORE of them. It's boring enough when you have to run out and kill 5 monsters, but when you have to go out and kill THIRTY of them it gets pretty **** tedious.

The new "Honor" system is a disgrace. Other players get Honor Points for killing you in PVP combat. That's all well and good except that the Alliance side outnumbers the horde, in some servers by 3 to 1. What this means from a practical standpoint is that sometimes there are so many alliance out ganking that the game becomes *unplayable*. A few weeks ago when I got to level 30 I went over to Desolace to do some questing. As soon as I crossed the border I got jumped by FIVE level 60 alliance pricks, who, of course, killed me. I made the LONG trek back to my body from teh graveyard, resurrected, and they killed me again. This happened 3 times (spawn camping sucks!) so I said screw it and decided to take the Rez penalty and raise up at the graveyard. Well that was a good idea, except that they had another group of THREE level 60's waiting there to kill me.

So for about an hour I tried to come back to life so I could just play the damned game and these bastards killed me again and again and again. As if a single level 60 character couldn't have killed me himself, they had to have EIGHT total there to cover bother bases and make sure I stayed dead. Suffice to say, I ended up logging out and didn't play for a few days. Other players who are dicks make the game at times UNPLAYABLE.

Battlegrounds has been hyped a lot lately, and I'll tell you this: It's fun, but it's nothing special. It's capture the flag, pure and simple. I'm not impressed, I've been playing CTF for YEARS in much better games than this. What's GOOD about battlegrounds is that right now everyone is so busy playing or WAITING to play the **** thing that many areas that were previously unplayable are finally available to you without getting constantly ganked. I can actually finish all my desolace quests *finally*.

Anyway, I paid 6 months in advance, and I regret it. I will NOT be renewing my subscription to WoW and I recommend to others to avoid this game. It's buggy, it crashes often, the patching system is INCREDIBLY slow (you're better off visiting another site and downloading the patch than waiting for Blizzard's p***-poor patching system to download the thing) and many of the players are complete pricks. The imbalance of horde to alliance means that a lot of alliance people are running around bored and will repeatedly kill you and then spawn camp you just for the sake of doing it. This, among many other factors, make World of Warcraft a very POOR QUALITY game.

Jason

Or to avoid all the above select a PvE server and then you can not get attacked unless you flag yourself as pvp

I have two characters at level 45 and do not find quests boring. I play with a lot of rl friends and find the game immensly enjoyable.

The game for me, does not crash often, is no more buggy than any other piece of software (only bug I have had is all skills showing as orange) and is worth the money I pay per month on it.

I would suggest buy it, play PvE to get the feel of the game and if you like pvp, create a chr on a PvP server. You are allowed more then one character.

Yes, the blizzard p2p patch system is poor, but there are workarounds available for that issue.

/wave

Edited by Stusteel

Or to avoid all the above select a PvE server and then you can not get attacked unless you flag yourself as pvp

I have two characters at level 45 and do not find quests boring. I play with a lot of rl friends and find the game immensly enjoyable.

The game for me, does not crash often, is no more buggy than any other piece of software (only bug I have had is all skills showing as orange) and is worth the money I pay per month on it.

I would suggest buy it, play PvE to get the feel of the game and if you like pvp, create a chr on a PvP server. You are allowed more then one character.

Yes, the blizzard p2p patch system is poor, but there are workarounds available for that issue.

/wave

True, you could play on a PvE server. However, the quests are STILL boring and repetitive. Not to mention that some class quests are STILL unfinished by Blizzard, 9 MONTHS after the game has released. A prime example is the Shaman Wind Totem quest. There simply is *no quest*, you go visit the guy and POOF, he gives you the totem. LAME.

I'm gonna stay fast: This game is NOT worth $14.99 a month. I'm going to consider City of Villains (gonna try the City of Heroes 14 day trial in a bit here) and possibly Guild Wars. Even at Beta GW had nicer graphics and animation than WoW, but I'd like to see how the gameplay ends up being.

Jason

I've never played the game, but I can understand that its frusterating when you have people who kill you just for fun.

I remember playing a MMORPG called Redmoon during its beta and they had some events where it was a free-for-all - you could kill anyone without any penalty, and the person who was killed didn't loose anything either. There was one guy (level 400 or so... rediculously high for the game) who would always come in to the lower level areas and kill anyone who was trying to have a duel. When you're having fun trying to play with a friend and some jerk comes along and kills both of you it's really annoying...

I'm wondering if there is any reason to make a comparison between WoW and FF-XI. I don't know much about the two, but I've haven't heard any horror stories like JasonGW's about FF-XI. Anyone care to jump in here?

I played it for a while and i thought it was fun but I hate that blizz is charging now for online play, bakc in the day i was a d2 junkie, as well as sc and wc but those were all free to play. $15 a month sux. xbox live is only $6 and you can play 100's of games for the same $6... all xbox 360 needs to do is get one good mmorpg and WoW is done for.

Perhaps then, there is a difference between US and Europe, as I play on one of the European servers being from England and do not seem to suffer the issues you have. The missions boring? Maybe they are to you, but they all tell a little story.

I am not sure how you can make all quests different, being there are hundreds of them.

I disagree with WoW being done for by one good mmorpg on the 360. The consoles can never compete with a pc in that respect. Every mmorpg game I have played 'needs' a keyboard and mouse to really work. I have tired morrowind on both pc and xbox and find the xbox version to clunky to really enjoy playing...not that I play it on the pc anymore..

Perhaps then, there is a difference between US and Europe, as I play on one of the European servers being from England and do not seem to suffer the issues you have. The missions boring? Maybe they are to you, but they all tell a little story.

I am not sure how you can make all quests different, being there are hundreds of them.

I disagree with WoW being done for by one good mmorpg on the 360. The consoles can never compete with a pc in that respect. Every mmorpg game I have played 'needs' a keyboard and mouse to really work. I have tired morrowind on both pc and xbox and find the xbox version to clunky to really enjoy playing...not that I play it on the pc anymore..

The quests don't tell a story, what in the world are you talking about? WoW has NO STORY at all. Yeah, each character who gives you a quest has his little sob story about why you should go and collect 40 Courser Eyes for him, but that hardly constitutes *variety* in the questing. Collecting courser eyes, collecting rocket car parts, collecting pages...it's STILL just running around and collecting junk. Killing x number of mini tigers is no different than killing x number of giant tortoises, except the tortoises are higher level. Yay.

I do agree that it will take more than 1 good MMORPG on 360 (or any platform, really) to kill WoW or any other MMORPG. People buy WoW because it has two names attached to it: Warcraft and Blizzard. It's not the most graphically gorgeous game ever (though it does look pretty good), and it sure doesn't have a wide variety of quests. Now that we have Guild Wars out (which looks MUCH better than WoW from a graphics standpoint) I think the point is also well made that even an MMO without a monthly fee isn't enough to kill the pay-to-play variety, for whatever reason.

No odubt, there's a market for WoW, but it's not the market of discerning gamers who want an entertaining experience. WoW is fun when you're playing with friends, otherwise it's dull, frustrating and leaves a lot to be desired.

Jason

I'm wondering if there is any reason to make a comparison between WoW and FF-XI. I don't know much about the two, but I've haven't heard any horror stories like JasonGW's about FF-XI. Anyone care to jump in here?

I play FF XI and although I havent played WoW, in a comparison basis (would be nice if someone who has really got into both could make one for everyone) I cannot make, but from what I hear, WoW is just too easy to play and you advance so quicky compared to FF-XI.

If what JasonGW says is true, then FF-XI rules as the quests are largely more complex that how he describes WoW's quests.

I find that FF-XI is best played non-continually (which I guess could be said of most games like this) so that the momentum doesn't wear off.

I previously played Eve Online before FF XI came out in UK/Europe, and I just couldn't get into it properly as there was sooo much info to take in straight away - race info, news, etc. Dont get me wrong, I like space-games i.e. Elite II, and the more recent MS Freelancer, but this was too deep for me.

I think the companies should remember that some ppl can't afford to pay for multiple online game subscriptions each month and that if they dropped the prices a little, ppl might be prepared to go for more than one game.

Guild Wars is real nice - a proper online NWN of sorts and no subscription each month. That means theres alot less to lose as you dont have to pay each month for a while to see if you like it. And it can be bought quite cheaply online so its worth a try.

So for me, FF XI (and Guid Wars when I get it - I had played a beta weekend) is what I'm gonna stick with for now :)

My two cents...

Cheers,

Nath