Nlite and MCE

You do need to edit the WINNT.SIF file, or the MCE components won't install, and you'll have plain XP Pro.

I recently used nlite to reduce the size of the 1st disk so as to fit the entire

2nd disk on the 1st as I also have a tablet pc key..

I never edited the winnt.sif as you explained, I edited the txtsetup.sif & found

it worked perfect, I never added the key to the unattended setup of course as

I like the option to use either key to make it either MCE or Tablet..

The txtsetup.sif originally looked like this below...

I removed most of the languages I would never use,internet games plus the tour

& found it reduced from 773mb to 680mb...

[SourceDisksNames.x86]
1 = %cd2name%,%cd2tagfilei%,,\i386
2 = "%cd2name%","%cd2tagfilei%",,\cmpnents\tabletpc\i386
3 = "%cd2name%","%cd2tagfilei%",,\cmpnents\mediactr\i386
4 = "%cd2name%","%cd2tagfilei%",,\cmpnents\netfx\i386

I just removed the number 2 from the above to look like

this below & had no problems installing either Tablet or MCE..

Just another way though, your way no doubt still works...

[SourceDisksNames.x86]
1 = %cdname%,%cdtagfilei%,,\i386
2 = "%cdname%","%cdtagfilei%",,\cmpnents\tabletpc\i386
3 = "%cdname%","%cdtagfilei%",,\cmpnents\mediactr\i386
4 = "%cdname%","%cdtagfilei%",,\cmpnents\netfx\i386

Edited by K e n

• 2 weeks later...

Hi I also combined MCE 2005 disk 1 and 2 together (and the bonus disk)

But I found that you dont need to edit WINNT.SIF or txtsetup.sif , though those methods do also work

You simply need to add the missing CD2 tagfile to the root of your combined MCE CD

I just copied the WIN51IP tagfile in the CD/DVD root and renamed the copied file to WIN51IP2

so you have WIN51IP,WIN51IP2,and WIN51IP.SP2 in the root of the CD/DVD

I then used nlite to burn the DVD and It booted and installed MCE2005 without missing a beat or any swap

cd messages. Well It worked for me anyway. :thumbup

and yes the MCE Ehome dir/apps are installed and are working

It appears to be yet another way to combine the MCE disks, and maybe easier for some

• 2 weeks later...

Im confused;

I have 2 cd's that came with my comp,

One has XPpro on it, and one had this components folder on it,

I am looking for a simple way which i can install MCE,

I dont mind it being on 2 seperate cd's (just pref not a dvd) and i do have Nlite

Is there a really simple way to do this (sorry, im a noob)

Many thanks in advance,

Rob

• 3 months later...

Ok, I'm still confused. First off, I dont' have a "Winnt.sif" file. I searched the folder with all my MCE files in it (copied the CD1 and 2 to this folder) and "Winnt.sif" is not there. Second. Do I NLite the contents CD1 first and then copy the contents of CD2 to the directory I put the contents CD1 in or do I copy the contents of CD2 into the directory I copied the contents of CD1 in first and then NLite? Finally, after all the copying and NLiting is done, what exactly do I have to do to this "Winnt.sif" file if I ever find it?

Edited by IsLNdbOi

Ah ok. I like to sit and watch whenever I'm installing the OS on my PC. Cool, so I don't need the winnt.sif file. Do I still need to edit the txtsetup.sif file?

I still do need to change all the "%cd2name%" to "%cd1" in txtsetup.sif right?

No setup will look for the cmpnents directory on the current CD. If you want to be sure you can create a tagfile named win51ip2 in the root on the CD.

What exactly should be in the tagfile? What should the file's extension be? I opened WIN51, WIN51IP, and WIN51IP.SP2 with notepad and all of them had just the word "windows" in them.

Edited by IsLNdbOi

You don't need to play around with anything. Just put the 'CMPNENTS' folder in the same folder as you put disc 1. You may want to remove the Tablet folder from the 'CMPNENTS' folder & thtat's a saving of 84mb to start with. By the time you've removed the Languages (99mb) MCE will fit on 1 700mb disc. Just make a bootable ISO & burn!

Just making sure. I'd rather add the tagfile and edit the txtsetup.sif file if needed. I want to make sure that it still doesn't ask for the 2nd CD AND that all the media center stuff works. Finally, I just got this Windows XP Media Center set from Newegg and I have 3 CD's. The 3rd CD says "Windows XP Media Center Updates for version 2005".

I'd still like to know though:

What exactly should be in the tagfile? What should the file's extension be? I opened WIN51, WIN51IP, and WIN51IP.SP2 with notepad and all of them had just the word "windows" in them.

Also, in the txtsetup.sif all that needs to be changed are the "%cd2name%" to "%cd1" right?

Sorry for being so repetitive. Just want everything to go smoothly.

Edited by IsLNdbOi

The contents on the tagfile doesn't matter just make a copy of win51ip and name it win51ip2. (since the contents of each file is identical all of their directory entries can point to the same cluster on the CD.)

hi guys

i tried to create an unattnded cd with media centre.everthing worked fine. But i have one problem.

that is when mce boots for the first time after the completion of setup the minisetup comes.that is it asks u for the username to create,wether u want to activate or not,checks ur internet connection etc.

i directly want to the welcome screen with out ecountering the minisetup.

can some body suggest me what all changes i have to make in my winnt.sif file to achieve this.

thanks

:)