*sigh*

hello,

i have made an unattended cd, using batch files to install all my stuff...and registry tweaks

everything works fine.

so...i tried using wpi,...it looks great and the guy who made it did a good job

but the guides need examples

what do i do with all the stuff in my batch files

the guides only tell half the story

i've got icons all over the place that i remove ...entries in the group policy editer...registry tweaks...programs to install

if thing were setout in a step by step type of tutoral then you wouldn't get all the newbies in here asking stupid questions...you get people getting s***ty with you and yelling at you to SEARCH....then you spending weeks trying to search for the answers...

this is a whole new program and you have to learn different codes...and try to convert everthing across,

i havn't got wpi working and i probably won't ever get it working because...in the end

*sigh*...i just couldn't be bothered !!

Uhm,

begin with a clean config.js

add a program (with the wizard). You don't need to fill all the options at the beginning, just a name and a path (and maybe a description), nothing more.

test that. Does it work? if yes, add another, if not, post again.

@vakhal take the advice from @djbe .

is the best way . i start in january and

i have now 25 word pages in my config.js.

you can find around some samples of config's , but not always

will be good samples : some guys make their own sfx packs ,

so some time you will not have same sources .

start to use the wizard and then you wil be able to edit manually the config.js

good luck

*sigh*...i just couldn't be bothered !!
Cry me a river. :angry: You joined MSFN about a month ago and you are having difficulty mastering one of the toughest install routines available to you? Why am I not surprised. Tell me, can you edit an .msi, work with SFX packages, dabble in AutoIt? And if you are going to work with WPI, how are your HTML, CSS, and JavaScript skills?

If this sound s***ty, well, it's intentional. I for one can't abide this kind of whining. You need to dig in, son, move beyond your batch file install routine (beginner technique) to intermediate techniques, then attempt to bite into more advanced stuff. Have you worked through the Guide? All of it? You can't leapfrog from a tricycle to a Ferrari! :realmad:

and the guy who made it did a good job

The name is Hasi001, and remember to bow in silence after you utter the name. How much time has Hasi001 and Kelsenellenelvian and those who went before them already spent on this? Have you read Kelsen...'s guide? If you can't be "bothered," then you are definitely in the wrong place.

Whew. I better stop now, sorry. :P Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Edited by blinkdt

Um, editing a premade config file is sort of easy, even if its in a format youve never seen before.

Id have to say that batch files can be much more difficult. So far, this program doesnt seem like it requires "intermediate" skill to use....

html? javascript? you dont need to know a BIT of those to edit the config file. Creating a batch script (at least a bulletproof one) can be quite a bit more difficult--getting it to run on yer system is easy. Making sure it can handle ANY kind of input in any environment without doing critical damage is a bit harder.

Creating this program, on the other hand, is a bit more difficult ;)

still, blinkdt, id have to say yer being pretty harsh, and noobish yerself. A guy asked a question about a program that has little in the way of a "how to" (at least in the archive), and you jump on him and start talking about how amateur he is...

lighten up

Actually ronin2040 i find that blinkdt did what would be a normal response. I too was as you say (jumped on). And as a matter of fact it was originally by Altavista for which the developer (Hasi001) approved and agreed with his comments. However it did not push me away , I ventured on and on, I had no clue as to what to do but with accessive reading through the guides and the posts by previous members. But about a month after my initial a** whipping by Asta.. and Hasi i managed to get mine done, and as a matter of fact have made a few enhancements on what I was looking to do with the help of blinkdt, Asta.., Kess... and so on.

True you may think its harsh but, in a lot of cases it does bring out the best in people who really want the knowledge.

Another thing, for you to come in and make a rubbutted arguement on your first post is in fact ignorant. You couldn't even take the time to at least introduce yourself to the other members here that have contributed a lot to keep this community alive and valued by numerous members.

As for vakhal true it is difficult to use the search engine sometimes for it gives you numberous hits and you really have to skim through massive amounts of text. I too felt this way when I first attempted to learn this program. Also you mention; this is a whole new program and you have to learn different codes...and try to convert everthing across.

I for one have never learned any language, not even a single character, yet i managed to do one no myself. Just keep pluggin at it.

A guy asked a question about a program that has little in the way of a "how to" (at least in the archive), and you jump on him and start talking about how amateur he is...

No, not amateur, ronin2040, there are many amateurs here, myself included. The word is laaaaaaaazy. Kelsenellenelvian's guide, hasi001's examples, theme templates up the wazoo. He couldn't be "bothered" to ask or do the homework? It's the fact that he comes back into the forum to whine about it that torques me.

At the end of the day WPI is an .hta app built from HTML and JavaScript. When you are ready to move beyond changing a few entries in the config.js file to really customize this app, I think you will agree that a working knowledge of HTML, CSS, and some JavaScript familiarity will come in reeeeeaaal handy.

And, yeah, I need to lighten up.

You guys make me laugh!! :o) Without the folks here and all the work that's gone before I'd be dead in the water! What's more, they've all given out their knowledge to me and asked nothing in return save that I try and learn. I'm grateful for that.

Yes, guides with more and better pictures which hold my hand tighter are always easier to navigate. but those guides represent a lot of unpaid work. I was frustrated at first by the section on Install Shield, but then I found out that IS has about three or four different ways of dealing with things and their switches weren't consistent. This wasn't the fault of the guide writer.

The guides and this forum are a resource to be treasured. We are lucky to have it, so I don't see that complaining about it will ever encourage anyone.

My 2 cents. :o)