"Copy/Move To Twice! ?s After Install"

I have two questions. The first one is after all the files have been copied over and Windows XP is loading for the first time it asks me if I want to turn on Automatic Updates or not. Then it asks me for user names. I am using nLite and have never come across this problem before. All that it does is create a new user which I can delete once I login as the admin, but these screens are rather annoying. My second question is concerning the right-click context menu in my start-menu. Whenever I right-click on an icon in my start-menu Copy To and Move To appear twice in the menu. Why is this and how do I remove the duplicate? Thanks for any help!

NOTE: If I posted this in the wrong place I am sorry.

Although you technically only asked one question :P I'm assuming you also want to remove the "Setting Up Windows XP" screens that come up just before you log in the first time. This is part of the "Out-of-Box Experience" (OOBE) and you can remove it entirely through nLite.

For the "Copy To" and "Move To" context menu extensions, I have a couple of gueses. You probably used the full version of RyanVM's Windows XP Post-SP2 Update Pack. If you look at his website and scroll down to the "Other Extras Included," you'll notice that he includes those two extension as part of the package. This is not in the Medium version, which is what I prefer. That should take care of one instance. The other instance is probably in your regtweaks somewhere, especially if you just copied large blocks of code from the list on this site (tsk tsk). Look through it carefully, and only apply the tweaks that you understand and want.

I am using the full version of RyanVM's Update Pack. I am also using nLite to create my build and I still get the OOBE. Is there something specific that I have to do to remove this? Also, concerning the Copy/Move To, I do not have any additional Copy/Move To registry tweaks in my build. I realized that I had the Full version of RyanVM's update pack and that the registry information was already included and would be integrated. Has anybody had this problem concerning it appearing twice in the menu?

Okay, realized I forgot to remove OOBE!!! :P Silly me! Still having trouble concerning the Copy/Move To appearing twice though.

Edited by TheBlackMan

Yes, there is something specific you have to do in nLite. You have to tell it to remove the OOBE! :P It's a checkbox under "Remove Components\Operating System Options\Out of Box Experiaence (OOBE)." Check the checkbox. Checkboxes are neat like that.

Remove the regtweak enabling Copy To/Move To.

I agree! It's a wise thing to remove it. Although it does a nice job I have noticed it has annoyed me several times. Took me time to realize what was causing the problem.

In a system where this regtweak is done, if you double click a Star Menu program folder, you will get Move To and Copy To both executed. Pretty weird.

Cheers,

McoreD

Okay I guess I'll get rid of it. Now, I like many of the extra things included in RyanVM's Full Update Pack. Is there anyway to remove the Copy/Move To extra while still keeping everything else. I would rather not download the Medium Pack and integrate FileMon, RegMon, etc. Thanks!

Edited by TheBlackMan

...it's the regtweak that's the problem, not the DLL in my pack. And to answer your question, it's doable, but not easy.

The thing is I don't have a registry tweak for it. The only thing is your DLL. I'm not saying that it is your pack, but right now I am creating a build with a recompressed cab having removed lines containing the DLL info in RVMUpPck.in_ and the DLL entirely from RVMUpPck.cab. We'll see what happens. Thanks for all your help! :D

Edited by TheBlackMan

I'm using nLite 1.0 Beta 4 and it doesn't have the Copy/Move To tweak. I don't use an OEM to install anything either. I never thought about unregistering the DLL. That would have saved alot of time, but I still want it!

Well, I was able to remove the DLL from RyanVM's Full Install and I did not have any Copy/Move To.

Edited by TheBlackMan