Newbie Question

Millie

Before I even get into this program, I need to know a few things.

1. Does this program acquire the hotfixes from your HD that you have already downloaded and installed from the M$ update site or does it get them from M$? The reason I ask is that after I download, install and give a few days to see if there are problems with any M$ Critical, Suggested or Driver Update from their update site, I delete the installation files for the fix using a utility called xp_remove_hotfix_backup.exe by Doug Knox to keep clutter down on the HD. So, if this thing needs to find the files on the HD, I’m out’a business.

2. I have used AutoStreamer

(http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=223562) to create an XP-SP2 disk out of my XP-SP1 disk. Is this the same type method used to slipstream these M$ fixes to make an updated CD? I’m not much of a programmer or one to be messing around with config files and such so, you know what I mean. In other words, will I be getting in over my head with this?

3. I’m assuming this thing creates an image file (.ISO file) containing all the hotfixes you need for your specific setup that will be slipstreamed with the existing XP-SP2 disk, right?

I have about 100 more questions but lets get past these first 3 for right now before I decide to go through this process needed to get the program.

Thank You,

Millie

Thanks for the reply Ryan. Okay, that answered most of my questions except for one.

Quoted from your link it says: "XPCREATE connects to an Internet server to obtain a list of hotfixes that must be downloaded for your Windows version. This list will be used to determine which files must be downloaded from the Internet, and which files are already present locally."

Okay, one of the initial questions still stands, does the fixes that it finds already installed on your computer require that those fix's installation files still be present on the HD (which mine are not) for XPcreate to properly work?

Thanks again for the reply,

Millie

Actually the ability to aquire a list of updates and download them automatically has been removed in the free version, at least to the best of my knowlege it has because I've never had it download anything for me since I started using the latest version. What you have to do is manually download the files yourself and place them in folders named as such in the "What goes where" portion of the xpcreate website. The update/patch type folders need to be in the same folder as you installed xpcreate into. A list of the updates can be found in the unattended forum, I think it's one of the stickys.

Edited by cyprod

Right right cyprod, the freeware version doesn't automatically download the hotfixes, service packs, etc. - you have to dowload these manually and place them in the correct folders where you have installed xpcreate.

Although not up-to-date, the http://xpcreate.com website has a tested "fail-safe" list that you should use if you are new to this.

Only the comercial version has the auto-download of ms hotfixes, etc.

Regards,

N.

Actually the ability to aquire a list of updates and download them automatically has been removed in the free version

Well, that's a shame :( . Anyway, I would like to thank those of you that were kind enough to answer my questions.

Have a great one :thumbup,

Millie

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Remember SlimShady you get what you pay for - and you pay nothing for the freeware version so if ya want more, you'll have to buy the commercial one [if it is being continued with - cant remember]

Regards

N.

• 3 weeks later...
Remember SlimShady you get what you pay for

if ya want more, you'll have to buy the commercial one

No, you don’t necessarily get what you pay for. When I was trying to make my mind up on which way to go with an "integration" utility, I read many messages and was written many posts/emails on various forums and newsgroups that it was not wise to go the XPCreate commercial route because the author is well known for disappearing and/or going awol for months on end leaving the support and backing of the commercial product and its paying customers in limbo. It was with those revelations and subsequent recommendations that I chose nLite which has been serving me well as has its author who sticks around to support his product.

If you are going to pay for something…. Do some research first to find if there have ever been any questionable voids in the products support.

Regards,

Millie