CD-RW's: Lite-On Vs. Plextor

I've been reading up on the latest hardware, and currently I'm looking at CD-RW's. I've had nothing but good luck with my Plextor 12x10x32, but I always need it harder, better, faster, and cooler. So, I've narrowed down my likely selections to the Plextor 48x24x48x and Lite-On's 52x24x52x. I've heard that

Lite-On's drive has faster performance at a much cheaper price. On the other hand, reliability is a much

more important factor for me, and I'm not sure how much I want to save 45 seconds on each burn if I'm gonna end up burning 2 coasters each week... kinda defeats the purpose. BTW... the $40 price difference

would be well worth it if Plextor's reliability is much better than Lite-On's. Also, I will have a separate CD-ROM drive (probably the Afreey 56x) for DAE and direct copying... so read-speed is also not important.

So, in the end, I just want to know what you think: Is the Lite-On 52x24x52x reliable, or is it worth the extra cash to get the Plextor?

Ive only made two coasters with my LITE ON and they where badly fragged movies on the hard disk. they where still readable (but not playable from CD.. too much stutter) this is from about 8 months useage, i burn a LOT. eg: yesterday i burned off 10gb of backups and no errors on any of the disks. one disk out.. one in until all 10gb was burned perfectly.

in all the reviews of plextor compared to lite-on that ive seen, they have scored pretty equally but plextor sometimes get slightly more points for "support"

Ask yourself how many times you have rung plextor up or sent them an email or whatever and weigh that against the $40 difference.

LITE-ON are amazing drives.. excellent value for money i would recommend them to anyone.

They have regular firmware updates too.

Well, ain't that nice to know? In the 2 years I've had my Plextor, I've never had to call them. So, I'm thinking that support is not much of an issue. So, I'd probably follow your advice for the time being.

But, if anyone has experience favoring Plex over Lite, plz be sure to post it!

I had a 24 speed plex go tits up on me, exchanged without question and i now have a 40X plex, very pleased with it, it is also bootable and that's handy for doing anything to XP,repair or instaling, 6 floppy boot up set without it and that sucks. I burn discs at 40 most of the time and have done so on discs rated at 24X and got away with it.

My Plextor 16/10/40 is still running after 1 and a half years.

My LiteOn 24/10/40 is still running after a full year.

My opinion... Get a LiteOn, they're cheaper, don't do coasters (coasters would be caused by user error tbh) and can copy mostly all protections that other CD-RW drives can't do.

• 2 months later...

I have a Lite On 32x12x40 and Nero and it works great.Also just bought a Lite On 52x24x52 for my new gaming system which is almost complete.Good quality cheap price $50 is why I went with the Lite On's.Got it in black color too.Here's a pic of it with it's dvd rom brother.

ViewHere

• 1 month later...