what's the diff between runonce.cmd, runonceex.cmd

the file names themselves are irrelavant and can be anything you want them to be called.

What's INSIDE those files is what determines whether it's RunOnce, RunOnce\Setup, RunOnceEX...

RunOnce would be an invisible call to run all the windows (sorta like Windows does when starting up and starts other applications)

RunOnce\Setup is closest to RunOnceEX but that you can't change the Title, and runs IMMEDIATELY after they keys are imported into the registry.

RunOnceEX creates a window that lists all the program, can cahnge the title, and only executes after a restart or a call to the iernonce.dll process.

RunOnceEX is documented on the Unattended guide as it's the most used and there's a nifty little picture showing it in action as well.

I've been studying the tutorial. if fact just made an amazing discovery after trying several attempts at the runonceex.cmd way of installing apps.... i have to say yes to oempreinstall for anything to happen within the $OEM$ directory. I have (thanks to the help of yowzl) found a nice way to copy over the i386 directory. I'm working on installing simple stuff like acroread701.exe and netfxsp1.exe. There is so much to learn and s little time and this is a huge site with thousands of good ideas.

Reminds me of an old phrase mucho pinocha, pokita tiempo

hehehe

aj

PS... whats the EX of RunOnceEX supposed to signify?

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I am new in all this unattended installation and I have maybe stupied question about "RunOnceEx" in tutorial it seams that it is not well explauned or I just didn't get it. There are some commands that are not explained, such as:

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 2 /D "REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\alcohol\register.reg" /f

what does this stand for and what letter "D" stands for? Why do you include this line for some programs and for the others not?

or

REG ADD %KEY%\015 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\DiskeeperPro_8.0.459.exe /s /v/qn" /f

what "s" and " means at the end what does "f" or "qn" at the end stands for?

Can you tell me where I can find more detaild description for this?

Thanks in advance.

I am new in all this unattended installation and I have maybe stupied question about "RunOnceEx" in tutorial it seams that it is not well explauned or I just didn't get it. There are some commands that are not explained, such as:

REG ADD %KEY%\010 /V 2 /D "REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\alcohol\register.reg" /f

what does this stand for and what letter "D" stands for? Why do you include this line for some programs and for the others not?

The REG command is a Registry Command Tool. To see all available parameters, type the following in a command prompt.

REG ADD /?

The above command adds a key to RunOnceEx. You can see the command between the quotes (""). This specific command imports a Registry script silently (REGEDIT /S), which contains the registration information for the application Alcohol 120%. To see all available parameters, type the following in a command prompt.

REG ADD %KEY%\015 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\DiskeeperPro_8.0.459.exe /s /v/qn" /f

what "s" and " means at the end what does "f" or "qn" at the end stands for?

Same as above; the part between quotes ("") is the command, the part before and after the quotes belong to the REG command, so to know what /F stands for... *cough* REG ADD /? *cough* ;)

As for the /s /v/qn part in the command between quotes ("") itself, it's meant to install this application silently and unattended. Every installer type has it's own parameters which it accepts. Run the installer with /? to see what parameters are available. Sometimes though this doesn't show any available parameters, so then you'll need to find out what kind of installer the application uses to know which parameters it accepts. There is information about this in the Unattended Guide, so I advise you to read it.

Can you tell me where I can find more detaild description for this?

The Unattended Guide is a good start. Read the forum. Keep trying, trying and trying. And ask if something is unclear. Good luck!

Thanks for the answers now I have some clue what all those commands are used for. But as always knowlege only opens more and more questions.

One more thing do you know where can I find Windows XP Professional with no service pack nor updates at all so I can do it from scratch?

Thanks again guys.

One more thing do you know where can I find Windows XP Professional with no service pack nor updates at all so I can do it from scratch?

With starting from scratch I assume that you mean that you would like to integrate the latest Service Pack yourself as well, instead of purchasing a copy which already includes the latest Service Pack? I would personally always prefer a copy which already has the latest Service Pack integrated. First of all it saves you the work of integrating the latest Service Pack, second of all it's a cleaner source than your own slipstreamed source would be.

econd of all it's a cleaner source than your own slipstreamed source would be.

Why is that?

• 5 years later...