MalWhere using AI to fight Malware

JonPalanis

While surfing the web I stumbled upon this new utility that promises to help you figure out what is what on your computer and identify malicious processes. The interesting scoop about this little (free) program is that is uses AI to analyze processes that it doesn’t recognize. Let's say you are infected with a new Trojan that the anti-spyware companies haven't heard of yet. MalWhere will query Google with the name of the process and analyze the results to produce a threat factor and a description. The cool part is that it uses the internet community (forums/blogs) to figure out the process nature in real time so there isn’t a problem of not being updated with the latest virus definitions.

Edited by JonPalanis

Hi All,

According to the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware List this application (MalWhere) is itself known to be suspect and to contain adware and trojans.

According to this site: http://netrn.net/spywareblog/archives/2004/09/13/ the items installed include:

BargainBuddy

CommonName

Ie Driver

NetPal

Favoriteman

Promulgate

UrlBlaze

Win32.Wintrim.Trojan.B

On that basis I would avoid installing this application.

Kind Regards

Simon

lol :D

Im not THAT clueless. I use Norton AV/Spybot S&D/MS antispyware/Ad-Aware Pro and Webroot Spy Sweeper (my fav). Anyway all of them state its clean.

In my book at least that means an installation is clean.

Other then that, MalWhere is really a program worth having. :thumbup

Hey JonPalanis welcome to MSFN. :hello:

Judging by your post count, i would guess you havent been assualted by the Firefox gang yet. :D Me and many other people now use Firefox (or some other alternative web browser) to surf the internet, malware/adware/spyware is a thing of the past. Try Firefox, I bet you see all this stupid stuff dissapear. You can find firefox quickly by just clicking on the promotional button in my signature. ;)

[edit] I should add that Firefox is free and opensource.

Edited by DigeratiPrime

Hey JonPalanis welcome to MSFN.  :hello:

Judging by your post count, i would guess you havent been assualted by the Firefox  gang yet.  :D  Me and many other people now use Firefox (or some other alternative web browser) to surf the internet, malware/adware/spyware is a thing of the past. Try Firefox, I bet you see all this stupid stuff dissapear.  You can find firefox quickly by just clicking on the promotional button in my signature.  ;)

[edit] I should add that Firefox is free and opensource.

I should mention that many ad and spyware sites are now targetting Firefox users. I've noticed an increase in the number of ads not blocked by Firefox. I haven't got any spyware, but IMO, it's only a matter of time before some spyware does take advantage of the increasing number of vulnerabilities in Firefox. No browser is really safe, just that the niche browsers are targetted less often.