(P4) 3.4ghz @ 56c Too Hot?

phillyman2004

I just got done building her a computer , and the bios is reporting the cpu at 56 celcius , is this the normal for a P4 , Mine runs at 36 , but i have alot more fans

Is it safe at this temp , Idle at the bios screen , I also realize the Artic silver hasnt had a chance to set

Rob

I just got done building her a computer , and the bios is reporting the cpu at 56 celcius , is this the normal for a P4 , Mine runs at 36 , but i have alot more fans

Is it safe at this temp , Idle at the bios screen , I also realize the Artic silver hasnt had a chance to set

Rob

Perfectly normal.

132.8 degrees Fahrenheit

Oh ok , this is only my 5th build , and one build the temp was 400 degrees , i dont remember if it was F or C

But thats the fastest i ever moved in my life

LOL

I think i will pick her up some stronger case fans tommorow , and maybe add 1 to the front

Her case was a cheap $30....so the fans are probably garbage

Rob

Oh ok , this is only my 5th build , and one build the temp was 400 degrees , i dont remember if it was F or C

But thats the fastest i ever moved in my life

LOL

I think i will pick her up some stronger case fans tommorow , and maybe add 1 to the front

Her case was a cheap $30....so the fans are probably garbage

Rob

56 is actually pretty normal/cool for Pentium 4's (especially with HT)

Mine are this right now.

Temperatures

Motherboard 31 °C (88 °F)

CPU 56 °C (133 °F)

Aux 46 °C (115 °F)

WDC WD1600JD-22HBB0 27 °C (81 °F)

Cooling Fans

CPU 845 RPM

System 858 RPM

I am not too familiar with intel systems, but I have an amd64 3200+, and it stays below 52 even under extreme load, and this is with it overclocked to 2.5 Ghz and a Zalman 92mm 7000 ALCU resting on top of it (an inexpensive and very fruitful cooling solution). I'd also like to point out that my system has no case fans installed...

Though, this wll all change when an Antec P180 finds a home at zipzoomfly. Auto-notified, baby!

As to the guy that suggested water cooling, do some research. Most processors can handle up to 70 degrees stably, but I'd never allow a machine to run higher than 60. I'd intervene and find more efficeint cooling. Try the zalman cooler, they tend to be quiet and very efficient.

Edited by Aynjell

Try to make it as cool as possible as higher temps. will shorten the life of your components inside your computer, especially your CPU. 56 degrees Celsius is a bit high, especially in BIOS, considering the fact that this will raise a few more degrees when you reach windows and start stressing the CPU.

Also, you might want to have a look at this information that I found on a website about maximum CPU temperatures:

Pentium 4

If you wondering where the stats are for the Pentium 4 CPU's I simply did not put them in because I believe any information I find on these will not be accurate. The reason being the P4 chips come with a clever step down facility which allows the CPU to slow down when it gets hot. The CPU will run slower the hotter it gets. The theory is that the CPU will never burn out even without a heatsink/fan. It will just run run at an unbelievably slow pace. However the developers papers show that the max temperature is 80°C. Again the theory is that this temperature should never be reached unless the safety step down feature should fail or be disabled.

I would try to keep my CPU idle temp below 50 degrees Celsius.

Regards,

Marthax