New Shell

I am fairly new to customising windows mostly I have been using Nlite to reduce the size of the source. Now I want to venture into new territory.

I want to greatly reduce the amount of memory windows uses,and install another shell silently from the source cd(I havnt found 1 I like yet) Is there a shell much like windows explorer but uses less memory?

Incorporate minlogon into source cd to install silently. After I learn these things I can learn other. There is a web site for silent installs but have a hard time following. Can anyone help :thumbup

Installing a new shell isn't a problem...how ever far as I'm aware...they all sit on top of explorer...so adding new shell features will only increase the amount of memory used by the system.

As for figuring out how to do silent installs...none of it is hard...the problem is there are dozens of ways in which to go about it.

I'd suggest going the batch route..not at all because I feel its the best method...but from the sheer fact that more people in these forums are more comfortable with them, so you are likely to get the answers that you need in short order...rather than having to way days or weeks for a responce from some one in the know, for lesser used methods.

Hehe just talk to any one thats PMed me with a question about one of my AutoIt scripts...I can be slow or unresponcive at times.

• 2 months later...

Try this one: http://www.bb4win.org/news.php

It's the linux black box shell "ported" for Windows XP.

I am fairly new to customising windows mostly I have been using Nlite to reduce the size of the source. Now I want to venture into new territory.

I want to greatly reduce the amount of memory windows uses,and install another shell silently from the source cd(I havnt found 1 I like yet) Is there a shell much like windows explorer but uses less memory?

Incorporate minlogon into source cd to install silently. After I learn these things I can learn other. There is a web site for silent installs but have a hard time following. Can anyone help :thumbup