Ultimate XP install DVD

syntax010

I'm working on putting together a specific but broad ranging install disk for XP onto DVDR and i'm looking for suggestions for the best place to start reading up on how to accomplish the following list of goals.

1. Bootable DVD that will boot with the "press any key to boot from" option with the disk in the drive on startup.

2. Boots to a menu that offers the choice of installing XP SP1a or XP SP2.

3. Both installs include all of the Bashrat the Sneaky driver packs.

4. Both installs work unattended with no user input needed beyond choosing which OS to install inititially between the two.

5. Both installs will boot to the XP GUI with the "default" settings for the OS being the ones that I specify.

6. Both installs will auto run the full Autopatcher program once XP is installed and booted into the GUI. With Autopatcher using an answer file of my choosing for customized options for its install.

7. Both installs will install the full Plus! for XP add-ons for XP, with the SP2 install also installing the full Plus! Digital Media Edition add-on as well(since Plus! DME requires certain SP2 only features to install correctly, it wouldn't be part of the SP1a install of XP).

8. If possible, for immediate maintaianence and tune-up for XP, set both installs to auto run a full disk defragmentation once all of the above steps have been completed.

From what i've read, this should be possible to do, but I'd rather read up and learn how to do it the best that I can before I blunder into it and make half a dozen coasters or more before I get it right while running back here 20 times screaming HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP. so any input, suggestions, and/or advice, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

To answer in advance, I already have a full legit copy of XP slipstreamed with SP1a and an additional copy slipstreamed with SP2. I also have the Plus! Superpack(legit copy) that includes both Plus! for XP and Plus! DME for XP on seperate CD-Roms.

*edit* Also, if possible, i'd like to configure the XP installs to create 3 hard drive partitions by default, those being drive c:\ for the primary XP files, drive d:\ for program files and drive e:\ as a static sized page file if possible.

Edited by syntax010

I have followed the guide that is posted above in a stick to the best of my ability. However, I am running into a couple issues, which is why I would like and could use some help. If anyone with experience in this area could IM me on AIM or Yahoo it would be appreciated. My SN are on my profile for these forums. Here is where I am needing help.

1. The multi-boot guide covers XP SP1 but doesn't cover XP SP2 in specific detail.

2. Since I am already using XP SP2 as my current OS I cannot run the step in the guide to get the boot files needed for XP SP1 since you cannot install an older OS over a newer one.

3. The guide covers, for example, XP and Win2K Pro on the same disk, but doesn't really cover the idea of two versions of XP on the same disk.

4. The above guide does not cover anything in the area of using something like Autopatcher or even adding something like Plus! for XP to the disk.

I'd appreciate any help anyone would be willing to offer. I know this post has had 20+ views so far, it would be nice to get some feedback at least, or an IM or two on my AIM or Yahoo to assist with this project.

....get the boot files needed for XP SP1 since you cannot install an older OS over a newer one.

Well, for that particular problem I suggest you get you hands on program like

VMware or similar.

Install the SP1 version on the virtual PC and nick the files.

Or, maybe those boot-files could be found with Google,

its amazing search engine, I hear.

:)

2. Since I am already using XP SP2 as my current OS I cannot run the step in the guide to get the boot files needed for XP SP1 since you cannot install an older OS over a newer one.

Try BootFolder.exe. It's a program that will create a bootfolder identical to the one created using the winnt32.exe /noreboot method by parsing the dosnet.inf file.

It can work it's magic on any Windows source folder independant of the Windows version installed.

1. The multi-boot guide covers XP SP1 but doesn't cover XP SP2 in specific detail.
Near Identical. Only difference is there is a new ident file in the root of the CD.
3. The guide covers, for example, XP and Win2K Pro on the same disk, but doesn't really cover the idea of two versions of XP on the same disk.

Consider each version as seperate OS. If it's easier for you to think as such, just think one is XP and one is Win2k. The DIFFERENCE between the two, will be the BOOT folder name, and the path that TXTSETUP.SIF references (the guide lists it)

4. The above guide does not cover anything in the area of using something like Autopatcher or even adding something like Plus! for XP to the disk.

AutoPatcher is bloatware. I don't like it, but that doesn't mean you can't use it :P There are switches for AutoPatcher for Unattended options. http://unattended.msfn.org will help you in that respect, though does NOT specifically tell you how to get AutoPatcher to work. Since you've followed the MultiBoot guide, the Unattended guide isn't all that more difficult.

Feel free to IM me at Alanollz on AIM, though I make no promises that any help I provide may be want you are looking for. I tend to help people once they've atleast done some of the work they're trying to do (so right now, I'd help you with the Multiboot aspect, but won't help with the Unattended till you attempt it first :) )

@Nazgul

With all respect to creator of multi-boot DVD guide, I would say it has some strange advises and errors, so use it like general guide and use your brain.

1. Just go to the Microsoft page, download bootfiles for SP2, unpack them using 7-zip or something similar.

2. Extract image files using UltraISO, WinISO, MagicISO, or other program.

3. Follow the multi-boot guide to change setupldr.bin

good luck

moo

With all respect to creator of multi-boot DVD guide,

No disrespect taken at all. The boot disks make things easier, however you must make sure you get the proper OS version and such. Creating the ~BT folder just goes with the flow of it so you don't mix them up and such.

Both ways work jsut the same.

1. Just go to the Microsoft page, download bootfiles for SP2, unpack them using 7-zip or something similar.

2. Extract image files using UltraISO, WinISO, MagicISO, or other program.

3. Follow the multi-boot guide to change setupldr.bin

good luck

moo

While this does work, it has a major disadvantage.

It fails to take manually integrated textmode mass-storage drivers into account.

By using either the BootFolder.exe or Winnt32.exe /noreboot option those driver changes are automattically integrated in your bootfolder.