floppy be gone !

vakhal

hello...,

i have an old computer that has a floppy drive and i thought of doing away with it.

i was wondering if i could make a bootable cd ,to use instead of the winME start up disc

but my problem is this.....

what i would normally do is..insert the floppy and reboot,..the computer would start up and load the drivers for the cd-rom to work,..then i would use the floppy to format the Hd,...and then install windows again

now if i copied the contents of the floppy to a cd and rebooted,..then i would assume that the cd would load the drivers for the cd-rom,...and then....

soooo...my problem is....how can the cd-rom work if it needs the drivers loaded first..when the drivers are on the cd..???

What are the specs of the computer???

What windows version are you using to load the system with????

If you are using ME (NOT an Upgrade CD) then it will boot just fine when you set you BIOS to boot from CD.

If you are using any other (newer, i.e. NT, 2K, XP)windows that are NOT UPGRADES, then they are already bootable also.

it is possible, you have to make a image of your boot floppy and put it in the boot section of the CD. I'll try to find exact instructions on how to do this.

*EDIT, after a bit of searching*

If you have MagicISO you can make one following these instructions:

http://www.magiciso.com/FAQ/FAQ0006.htm

I'm not having very much luck finding how to do this without the need of pay programs.

but basically what your going to want to do, is make a Boot Floppy (find any boot disk you need at http://www.bootdisk.com/ ) then tell magicISO to read the Floppy and make a img file.. then using magiciso burn the img file to a CD.

Edited by Bi0haZarD

BrandonS_Mil

thanks for the reply..

my specs are ..amd K6-2 ,350 Mhz ,256 meg ram.

i swap between windows xp and windows Me , i have both origanal full versions.

i didn't know that Me was bootable...altho i never thought of trying

can you format the hard drive with Me like you can with Xp

but then that isn't realyy the direction i want to go tho....i still like the old DOS games so i try to have both windows and dos....i suppose i should off said

to use instead of the dos start up disc
instaed off
to use instead of the winME start up disc

so basically i just want to boot into dos, format, install dos, install windows.

Bi0haZarD

i will have to give that a try

MagicISO sounds very good

thanks for your help.