Apply regtweaks.reg 2 times?

Hello

Okey i have read through out the forum that some of you apply your regtweaks 2 times, from different locations! becourse some tweaks dont "stick"

Well i was woundering what this is all about since my tweaks dont seems to apply as i would like!

I run my cmdlines.txt like this:

[COMMANDS]
"REGEDIT32.EXE /S tweaks.reg"
"RunOnceEx.cmd"

and i dont know how many of them acctually get stuck!

so where, when and how would i apply them a second time for the best result.

Thanx ppl

It is correct that not all tweaks work when excecuted during cmdlines.txt (some current user tweaks I believe)

If you want to apply your tweaks a second time, you can do it during GuiRunOnce or RUnOnceEx (be adviced that most reg changes only work after a reboot)

I apply mine at t-12, and then the end of my runonceex.

This is usually because some tweaks don't take at t-12, and some programs overwrite them. Since I don't create my users till then also, I do a reboot, and everything works pretty well.

Oki doki

But how would such a line in RunOnceEx look like?

maby? (if i have a copy of tweaks.reg in my &OEM%\%1\Install dir)

REG ADD %KEY%\100 /VE /D "Registry Changes and Tweaks" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\100 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\REGEDIT32.EXE /S tweaks.reg" /f

or? (if i use the same copy of tweaks.reg as in the cmdlines.txt)

REG ADD %KEY%\100 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT32.EXE /S tweaks.reg" /f

or have i got it all wrong?

OHHH Important!!!!! WHERE in the RunOnceEx should i run it??? last? befor or after cleanup.cmd or?

Thanx

REG ADD %KEY%\100 /V 1 /D "REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\tweaks.reg" /f

I do it like this (no REGEDIT32.EXE but just REGEDIT)

I would recommend to this at the end of the RunOncEx, but before your clean-up. If you do it afterwards, tweaks.reg doesn't exist anymore ;)

EDIT:

by the way, I also use "REGEDIT /S tweaks.reg" in my cmdlines.txt. (I don't know if it matters, I only know that it works :D )

Edited by erik_demon

For me, it is the last thing to do before reboot.

I can't show you what my runonceex looks like, because it makes it on the fly, but this is the command I call.

"%INSTALLDIR%\regtweaks\install.cmd"

That file looks like.

@ECHO OFF
CMDOW @ /HID
TITLE Installing Reg Tweaks

SETLOCAL & PUSHD %~dp0
   FOR /D %%d IN (*) DO CMD.EXE /C %%d\install.cmd
   FOR %%I IN (*.REG) DO REGEDIT /s "%%I"
   FOR %%I IN (*.INF) DO RUNDLL32.EXE setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 %%~fnxI
POPD & ENDLOCAL
GOTO :EOF

It recursively goes through my regtweaks directory looking for any reg and inf files, and installs them. This allows me to easily split up the files for different programs, HKLM, HKCU, file associations, etc.

Offtopic: what do you mean make your runonceex "on the fly"

how do you do that? care to explain?

I have a batch file which parses the %INSTALLDIR%. It will look through each folder, and look for a file which has all the commands to install the program.

I say "on the fly" because I don't add the runonceex entries till I am ready to install. This allows me to keep my program installation fairly modular. Rather than remove files, and then having to edit the runonce file, I can just move a folder out of my %INSTALLDIR%. The file that I keep the commands in, is fairly easy to read, much like a command file. Also updating is simplier now, as I just copy the updated program folder over, and run the batch file.

I posted an old version of the file a while ago. I'll have to dig up the thread.

that sounds very interesting.. I think I might try and include that next time I decide to make another unattended cd... :P

had to search a little bit but would this be it?  :whistle:

Yeah thats it, I'm glad some people know how to search. Thats the old version though. I put that in my cmd file to build my cd. The new one is like it, but just adds the registry keys, no extra file. I'll post it eventually.