MSFN Unattended XP Site

• 2 weeks later...

MSFN's Unattended XP CD - Drivers via CD

Under the heading "Prepare Windows source files" it has the following:

In the Run box, type:

expand C:\XPCD\SETUP.EX_ C:\XPCD\SETUPORG.EXE

Change C:\XPCD to the path of your Windows Setup Source.

Ofcourse according to my knowledge, there is no setup.ex_ file in the XPCD, but in the I386 directory. also you have to create the setuporg.exe file in the I386 directory also.

Just a little thing in the site, that messed me up for some time.

I think it's an error, if it isn't please enlighten me  :hello:

How do you create the setuporg.exe file? So basically for the first part, you would add i386 to the directory, but how about the setuporg.exe? It's not located in the i386...

there should be a complete directory tree of a fresh Windows XP home and Pro (SP2) and other MS OS sources, and then have detailed descriptions of the directories and files and what they do and there value to the OS. I know there are over 5,000 files (lots of files in short) so brake it up and distribute it into to teams to easies up the load. :)

Maybe you could make quick mention of setting up network shares, etc. such as:

Prepare.cmd

: Set up Local Shares
NET SHARE "RZ's SharedDocs"="%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents" /users:3 /cache:automatic

: Set up Mapped Network Drives
NET USE Q: "\\NotMyDell\TheOtherSharedDocs" /persistent:yes

more "NET SHARE" parameters

more "NET USE" parameters

maybe with a note that "NET USE" will only work if the network resource is available when you use the command, and if you want to set a Mapped Drive with the possiblity that the resource may not be available when you are installing then you can 'cheat' and use a reg file like this: REG template for Adding Mapped drives

<edit> One apparent drawback of this technique that I forgot to mention is that it doesn't let you set the permissions on your shares and I'm still not really sure how to do this atm (via automation anyway).

Edited by spiritpyre

In order to correctly set the keyboard for some languages (Norwegian is one of these) you will, in my experience, have to make a default profile by copying in a pre-configured ntuser.dat. I tried all the reg keys I could find and all possible entries in winnt.sif to get Norwegian keyboard on my US English Win XP Pro, but all I could set was the location etc etc. After applying it to ntuser.dat and copying that in when I installed Windows, all was good!

• 3 weeks later...

One thing that would be really nice for the unattended guide is a quick mention of another, alternative (and IMHO simpler :P ) method of "Running RunOnceEx from CD".

What I've been using for sometime but didn't catch onto for a while AFTER I had started making some form of a UA cd is that batch/cmd files have internal variables of their own. The most useful one (again IMHO) is %0 when used with certain modifiers to become %~d0, %~p0, or especially %~dp0. -- %0 contains the path OF the batch/cmd itself. (the d modifier=drive;p=path(w/o drive/filename);dp=drive+path(w/o filename) )For a complete reference see here.

pathorigin_sample.cmd

TITLE="Path Origin" Sample
ECHO OFF
CLS

: Sets pathorigin
: (cd="current directory" doesn't always work right)
:===================================================

: 2 modifiers works the same as
SET pathorigin1=%~d0%~p0

: a compound modifier
SET pathorigin2=%~dp0

ECHO.
ECHO pathorigin1 (of cmd) is "%pathorigin1%"
ECHO pathorigin2 (of cmd) is "%pathorigin2%"
PAUSE

CLS
ECHO.
ECHO (pathorigin1==pathorigin2):
ECHO pathorigin1(%pathorigin1%) == pathorigin2(%pathorigin2%)
PAUSE

One thing to keep in mind is -- whether in the root or a "sub-root" folder --

THE PATH WILL ALWAYS END WITH A \

(unlike %cd% which only appends a \ if the current directory is the root of a drive)

Also: MAKE SURE YOU DON'T LEAVE ANY TRAILING SPACES AT THE END OF THE SET var1= LINES

==================================================

I think ppl who are new to unattended discs/batch/cmd -- and even some ppl who aren't -- might like this way better as opposed to other options like using

FOR %%i IN (D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z) DO IF EXIST %%i:\CD.txt SET CDROM=%%i:

which from what I've heard doesn't always work the greatest if there are multiple cds (or if for some reason the file "CD.txt" was in the root of a HDD/removable USB drive, on a floppy, etc. :lol: )

Edited by spiritpyre

• 4 weeks later...

Perhaps a useful mod to make:

The Dutch version of the uA guide, says to create modified files as follows:

modifyPE.exe uxtheme.dll -c

after this...

makecab /D CompressionType=LZX uxtheme.dll

This bold line, specifying CompressionType gives better compression.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh yes....

who wants to voluteer to enter stuff into the new DB that should be close to completion in the coming week or so? This will include AppSwitches and Registry Tweaks.

I know it's plenty late to answer here, but I would like to volunteer. I've been thinking of making a DB myself consisting of all the switches in the unattended forum, but it would be of much more use as an add-on to your (already great) site!

Contact me via email PLZ, as I have missed already several PM's (somehow I find it easy to overlook them, although I'm a very regular visitor...).

1 suggestion: it would be fairly simple to let (registered) visitors add switches themself. And maybe a rating could be implemented for the other users to rate the switches already in the DB. That way, bad entries are (or can be) filtered out automagically.

You would need only a handfull of PHP-building blocks:

1. authentication can be combined with the forum-db (registering in the forum lets you post/rate to your DB)

2. entering information (id, prog, version, switch, comment, name, IP-address, date)

3. rating information (id, rating[bad,neutral,good], comment, name, IP-address, date)

4. search information (prog)

5. edit/delete entries by admins/moderators

6. display information (last entered, highest ranked, alfabetically)

Like this, a search could return multiple results, but the good ones will be used more often and probably receive more 'good points', so that the lesser or incomplete ones are discarded over time...

Just my € 0.02. I'm not a PHP/MySQL-professional, but I have built a site or 2 in PHP and MySQL, and think it's fun to play around with. If only I had more time on my hands...

Zl.

Edited by ZenLord

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everybody!

I'm building my unattended Xp, and I'd like to change the original visual themes.

I mean that I'd like Windows to install my own theme instead of it's original.

Where can I find the folder on the cd to make this replacement???

thanks a lot.

• 3 weeks later...
I would translate the tutorial to dutch. Bâshrat the Sneaky do not more translate the tutorial sow I will doing the work.

But i must on the forum post that I wile to make a dutch translated tutorial.

Reagards,

Paul

Well imo, if you're going to translate into English like above, please don't, sorry!