MSFN Unattended XP Site

MSFN's Unattended XP CD - Drivers via CD

Under the heading "Prepare Windows source files" it has the following:

In the Run box, type:

expand C:\XPCD\SETUP.EX_ C:\XPCD\SETUPORG.EXE

Change C:\XPCD to the path of your Windows Setup Source.

Ofcourse according to my knowledge, there is no setup.ex_ file in the XPCD, but in the I386 directory. also you have to create the setuporg.exe file in the I386 directory also.

Just a little thing in the site, that messed me up for some time.

I think it's an error, if it isn't please enlighten me :hello:

May I make one suggestion?

Have a thread (sticky perhaps) dedicated to typos and errors in the Guide so that people can report them as needed in one place. I would also help those reading the present version to look for any errata.

Done! This be the thread.

All others posting to this thread...

I figure it's time to update the site regardless of whether the PHP is done or not. I've received MANY PMs over the months the current revision has been up, and I'm not sure what happened to them :no:

I would like any typos or suggestions posted to this thread. I DON'T want ANY posts asking how to do something. I'm not really looking for stuff to add yet, but if you want feel free to comment WITH A LINK to what you're referring to.

hi i was just wondering if any of u might know but i use opera browser and not sure if it happens to anyone else but the drop down menus on the unattended site seem to be blocked by the Ad underneath.

hi i was just wondering if any of u might know but i use opera browser and not sure if it happens to anyone else but the drop down menus on the unattended site seem to be blocked by the Ad underneath.

Last I saw, it was an issue with how Opera rendered the page. Best I can do is TRY and make the rest of the site standards compliant, but i doubt that will make a difference.

You may want to bring this issue up in the Opera forums and see what they can recommend. As I don't have Opera, i can't test it during development.

i have now mentioned it in opera forums and they mentions something about iframes. so hopefully they wil fix the issue as its rather annoying.

ScubaSteve, the last thing I want to do is start a flamewar or sound like I'm being disrespectful, but you are using a browser that's used by less than 1% of the people on the Internet. This is identical to choosing to drive a car that requires regular fuel and complaining about how there are no gas stations around to sell you gas. I'm only saying something because I know the moderators aren't going to. Let them design the site the way they see fit, and if you have rendering issues, switch to the de-facto standard.

ScubaSteve, the last thing I want to do is start a flamewar or sound like I'm being disrespectful, but you are using a browser that's used by less than 1% of the people on the Internet. This is identical to choosing to drive a car that requires regular fuel and complaining about how there are no gas stations around to sell you gas. I'm only saying something because I know the moderators aren't going to. Let them design the site the way they see fit, and if you have rendering issues, switch to the de-facto standard.

I don't use Opera, but your statement is a load of crap. I'm sorry, but I can't rephrase that.

In other news, seems like the site renders fine for me in my Opera (it's 7.x, as I never use it, I don't upgrade :P).

Edited by Nanaki

I think in some sections such as themes you could keep it simple. Tell them to open notepad and save a filename with the .theme extension and provide a template of a theme layout document. Also post some image's in the tutorials and more than anything keep it simple and straight forward.

I think in some sections such as themes you could keep it simple. Tell them to open notepad and save a filename with the .theme extension and provide a template of a theme layout document. Also post some image's in the tutorials and more than anything keep it simple and straight forward.

clicking the SAVE button in the Display Properties is harder then manually changing the text within the file itself? the save button saves all the paths correctly and such. Why would i change it to the template form and have people write in their own paths?

There are images in almost every page and it is almost as simple as it can be made. Any examples of where it's not? Simply saying it's not simple just tells me that nothing is wrong since you don't provide any example.

SVCPACK.INF Method (the old method)

http://unattended.msfn.org/beginner/hotfix/svcpack.htm

As I understand, qchain.exe is no longer required for post SP2 (or even some pre-SP2) hotfixes - please clarify.

One suggestion for the printed pdf - would be useful to have page numbers for printing out.

Though the implementation of QCHAIN is enabled in the latest Hotfixes, MOST of the SP1 hotfixes don't, nor do the majority if not ALL 2000 hotfixes and even a few 2003. It's just simpler to use the program as all it does is add a few seconds to your install time.

As for the PDF, i'll look into it, but if you notice, the PDF is simply the website printed in PDF form so I'll have to check on how to add page numbers. You should be able when printing to add a footer or something with page numbers i thought...