Add/Remove Error 0x2

shal187

hello i use Nlite to slipsteam xpsp2... when i try to add/remove windows components i get this error:

Setup was unable to open information file nlite.inf.

Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x2 at line 2088999411.

i have done a search on c:\ (including hidden and system dirs) and could not find the file nlite.inf, i also searched the ISO that nlite made and could not find the file within it either..., also there was nothing in the registry about nlite.inf...

here is a screenshot:

untitled.jpg

any help would be appreciated....

Edited by shal187

hello i use Nlite to slipsteam xpsp2... when i try to add/remove windows components i get this error:

Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x2 at line 2088999411.

i have done a search on c:\ (including hidden and system dirs) and could not find the file nlite.inf, i also searched the ISO that nlite made and could not find the file within it either..., also there was nothing in the registry about nlite.inf...

here is a screenshot:

untitled.jpg

any help would be appreciated....

ok i found out what was wrong........ if you want you can delete this thread unless you think it may help other people sometime in the future

to fix this problem browse to c:\windows\inf\ ...

edit the sysoc.inf file...

removed the nlite line...

save the file...

now i can add/remove windows components

• 2 years later...

Sorry to dredge up this very old post today, but a user of one of my addon packs is reporting this error to me this evening as he was trying to uninstall one of my addons through the native windoze Add/Remove programs panel, which sounds very similar to the error reported here:

Contact your system administrator. The specific error code is 0x2 at line 2088999472.

Testing the addon by several different methods, I am unable to replicate this error for myself. I have referred him to this post, but I am curious for my own information why such an error could be occurring.

Does anybody have any new information to add to this subject please?

Thanks for reading,

Mrs Peel

(Moderator RyanVM Forums)

I would like to replicate this one as well but no luck.

I presume he deleted the nlite.inf after the install...or somehow it got deleted by some addon.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Today I installed Windows received the same error (and solved it as suggested).

The first error regarding nlite.inf happened during the initial phase of Windows setup when, after formatting the disk, the files were copied to hard disk. At the end of copying, the setup showed an error that file nlite.inf was missing from CD and could not be copied. I ignored that error and the rest of instalation went well. After the Windows was installed I saw that a lot of Windows components were not installed. For example, there was no volume control, there were no shortcuts for IE, Outlook Express, Games etc. I started Add/Remove Windows components and received the mentioned error. After removing nlite.inf from sysoc.inf, I started again Add/Remove Windows components, and everything that was missing was automatically installed.

I checked the CD, and there was file nlite.inf. It seems that, for some reason, the setup was unable to read it from CD. I didn't try to install Windows again using the same CD.