slipstreaming question

hi all

I'm always on the look out for ways to make 98se work as good as possible as I don't like xp but doing all of these custom modifications can be somewhat time consuming when doing a clean install after repartitioning and reformatting

to this end I'm looking for some guidance as to how to build the perfect 98se os install disk so that I can have some of these steps done automatically

now what I'm wondering is if I can replace other files on the 98se install disk

so for instance after slipstreaming the USP could I also slip stream the latest version of IE, DirectX and the dial up networking 1.4 upgrade

and if so how ??

also would it be possible to slipstream the 98SE to ME service pack to the 98se install disk so that when doing a clean install the most up-to-date files are automatically installed effectively turning win 98second edition into windows 98 millennium edition ??

• 2 weeks later...

so for instance after slipstreaming the USP could I also slip stream the latest version of IE, DirectX and the dial up networking 1.4 upgrade

Sorry, IE and DirectX's slipstreaming seems impossible on Win98.

But I think you can install them automatically in silent mode, after completing the setup.

Edited by Gape

Well, IE slipstreaming is possible, but hard to make right.

I think you should do 2 things:

- copy all IE updated files into setup dir

(i.e. mshtml*,browseui,browselc,shdoc401,sh401lc,shdoclc,shdocvw,urlmon,wininet,iexpore and some other files)

- edit ie*.inf (search Unattended Windows, nLite and other forums for details on IE6->Win2000 slipstreaming) for correct version, new files and other info. That's advanced.

As for DirectX it's much easier to do silent install (you can turn off Dx6 install and break install order to reduce setup time, but it's very advanced).