dose reformatting hard drive make computer slower?

Nerwin

its not supposed to make it slower but i have on a rare occasion suffered by this same problem that your asking about, but it only happened to me from using one of my unattended dvd's that arent really completed,,

what i did is i just redid formatted and reinstallled the os, and that usually fixes it for me,

but it suxs to lose out on the time it takes to do that method.

I think ripken is right. I have yet to experience in all my years of using a computer a hard drive slowdown because of reformatting...on the other hand performance goes by leaps and bounds...after i get done reformatting. You really should use the executive software's diskkeeper...there is an MFT option in there that increases the size of the MFT for the fastest possible file system performance...usually the space allocated for the mft is very low....with that option it increases the size of the space allocated for the MFT and it speeds up your hard drive a lot. My 2.5 inch 60 gig hdd can sustain 36 mb/s according to some tests though I am using 12 gigs of its usable 55 gigs...you should look into that. Its a very nice tool.