Computer slow?

Nerwin

I just wandering why my computer is so slow Because it takes a while to open my computer, the start button and takes a while to close, And on my picture slide show for screen saver it takes about 15 seconds to change when it is set on 6 seconds.

Some one please help becasue i'm about to throw it at the window :realmad::realmad::realmad::realmad:

Its a 2.8GHZ celeron processor

80 gig hard drive

1024MB of ram

Windows xp pro

Why is that so slow

The hardware has the potential to run quite quickly... if the system is clean.

Have you checked your computer for viruses? Malware? other crap that's bogging it down?

Have a look in the Malware Prevention section of the forum for more info. They'll probably be able to help you out more.

Remove any un-necessary processes in your startup. Start - Run - msconfig - Startup tab. You need to do the usual as far as a virus scan and run Adaware. Also it would probably be helpfull if you tried some of the Tips & Tweaks that are linked from the MSFN home page. :)

Also try clearing out your registry using crapcleaner...also there is an option where it gets rid of junk files, you should run that...if you have a rather stable system and you are not scared of reinstalls, get rid of system restore, lets see also turn of indexing service if you dont search for your files using the builtin xp search feature much....

I think there is something wrong, because when you install a fresh copy of XP,

by default it run smooth without any registry tweaks !!!

and these tweaks may make it run more fast...

* try open Task manager and see if any program is eating your CPU power !

* also check the Hardware, may be there is a loose connection in the IDE cable for example !

what rpm rate is your hard drive moving at 5400 or 7200 ? higher the rpm faster the read and write will be

This is most important IMO. If you bought the system uncustomized in some fashion, then most likely you have a 5400. Running your OS off a 5400 will result in a dramatic slow down when compared to running on a 7200 IMO.

Did you build the system yourself? If so make sure you have the BIOS configured correctly, memory timings, bus speeds etc. Else you will see a terrible drop in performance. Some motherboards aren't great at autodetecting cpu bus speeds either, so if you haven't then configured it, you my be underclocking your processor without realising, check speed by right clicking my computer then clicking properties.

If cpu is not being underclocked, then it is most probably memory config error, that will produce a bottleneck which could really REALLY slow down your computer.

If it is running slow straight from fresh install of XP then it is almost defo hardware or hardware config.

Good luck! :thumbup

Regular defrag really works for me, setting an automatic defragger which checks fragmentation levels on a daily basis and does the job in the background really makes a difference to system performance and speed.