3d stuff

Ok time for a new thing here at MSFN

This is a topic to discuss your 3d creations, but before we start some program reviews, tuturials and resources. (thanks HawVer from Tweakers.net for parts of this tuturial/guide.)

SOFTWARE

3ds max

Pros:

Clear UI

Lots of plugins

Lots of tutorials

Cons

Not so fast

Maya-Maya

Pros:

Lots of functions

Lots of plugins

Lots of tutorials

Cons

On higher level alot of scripting

Maybe too advanced for newbies

Lightwave 3D

Pros:

Clear UI

Good materials editor

LScript language for scriped animations/objects and own tools/plugins.

Output direct to DV camera. (from version 8.0)

Interface can be fully customized. (shortcut keys too)

The default render engine is complete, GI and Caustics are standard..

Cons

There is a maximum of 65k points per object till version 7.5cMaximaal 65k points per object t/m versie 7.5c.

There is only 1 alternative render available, FPrime from Worley Labs, so it's quite restricted if you compare with Brazil and FinalRender for 3ds max.

Softimage XSI

Pros:

Complete integration of Mental Ray

Render Region

Integrated Compositor

Scriptable

Very good in poly-modelling

Cons

No previews of Materials like in 3ds max , maya lightwave etc.

Cinema 4D

Pros:

Famous because of it's render

Cons

None known yet

RENDERING SYSTEMS

Brazil Rendering System(3ds max)

Final Render(3ds max)

Vray Render(3ds max)

Renderman

Mental Ray

Insight

TUTORIALS

Project: Joan of Arc - 3dTotal for 3ds max

The basics of HDRI - Splutterfish for 3ds max and Brazil

Brazil Glass for 3ds max and Brazil

Learning Maya

3DCafe tutorials

3D Communities

Computer Graphic Talk

3DTotal

Maxforums

RESOURCES

Suurland blueprints

Onno van Braam blueprints

HighEnd3DTraining - Tools

Neil Blevins Realism 3D

Ok that was it... if you have more resources, programs or whatever just reply and i will add it to this post.

Show some creations people :thumbup

• 2 years later...

Okay guys I use Softimage XSI 5.0

Currently working and reworking a few models for a ExoSquad Fan movie

A lot of help came from DIGITAL TUTORS, though you have to pay for their videos I think they are good enough to warrant the price.

Videos and how-to's are no substitution for exploring the program on your own and continued practice.

here is phaetons head and the resolute in progress

phaeton_neo_leader.jpg

A little more tweaking to the head mesh, almost done with the body

phaeton_chestbuildc.jpg

brought out the e-frame model, and added more detail to the resolute, but I'm unsure of scale of the two.

I also completed work on a broken pillar, yay!

phaeton_resolute_marshcopy.jpg

Random shot playing around with Depth of Field camera effects.

phaeton_marsh.jpg

REVIEW

Modeling

It has some great tools like the "tweak tool" which, IF you've ever used Z-Brush allows you to sculpt your object much easier then moving points, edges, OR polygons one at a time.

Animation

Personally I feel the bones in XSI do not compare to less hyped up but equally functional bones in Maya 6. XSI tries to tack on restrictions to joint movement that are supposed to make it easier to animate... well adding a restriction to any movement inhibits animation, so IF you love to animate stay away from "Preferred Rotation Angles" AND XSI. OR dump the IK and run in pure FK although even then you'll have to tweak you parenting so that certain bones don't make the bones connected to it spin wildly out of control.

Rendering

Has a nice render region tool for quick rendering of parts of your scene, it also has ambient occlusion that you can add to the render pass or material to add extra depth or contrast to your model in final compositing. It has a render tree and a preview for blending your render passes like you would layers in photoshop, it also uses layers in texturing, again just like photoshop. ( In my phaeton image I used about 4 or 5 layers on his chest to make the various colors, symbols, and damage to his suit. )

Overall I think it's a powerful program, too many functions to go over in detail, a bit harder to learn then say Maya, pre Autodesk since I've only used the Alias versions.

I just started learning maya 6.5. It's a great programm, but i still wonder wheather i should continue with maya or switch to 3d max. I don't like the fact you have to script.

What do you mean you have to script in Maya? I used it without scripting, although like most high end 3D applications they allow scripting for those that like to customize their own renderings or shaders, or just about anything.

Edited by MichelleD

• 2 months later...