I'm working on getting xp pro features to home

jabab

And not the two byte hack , but after home is installed, putting on pro features. Disabling simple file sharing is simple. I'm trying to get group policy editor working now. I put some registry entries on, and files like gpedit.dll and gptext.dll have been put on and registered. I am now interested in getting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\GPExtensions from someone with XP pro. Also can someone please tell me whether i'm likely to be going in the right direction or not?

I did something similar a long time ago and got gpedit.msc to open in XP Home and behaved like normal in XP Pro, only that it won't actually write to the correct key in the registry when applied.

Also, the mmc version (in gpedit.msc) still says XP Home.

How did you add SFS - I imported the reg key but it didn't work then.

I did something similar a long time ago and got gpedit.msc to open in XP Home and behaved like normal in XP Pro, only that it won't actually write to the correct key in the registry when applied.

Also, the mmc version (in gpedit.msc) still says XP Home.

How did you add SFS - I imported the reg key but it didn't work then.

Here's how you disable simple file sharing...

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=fr&lr=&...6%40tkmsftngp05

You mind sharing how you got gpedit to behave like in pro?

Oh, that NT4 plug-in, I'm aware of that; I thought you imported some other reg or hack a file.

What I did was:

copied the necessary files and templates (adm) to the right location,

copied loads of reg keys (found by RegMon, and having manually changed the CLSIDs).

I used FileMon to see what files are accessed when gpedit.msc was run and there were many, including: admfiles.ini, explorer.exe, msimtf.dll, msxml3.dll, oleacc.dll, rpcss.dll, shdocvw.dll and winmm.dll etc. These seem to have identical versions for XP HE.

These I've tried to replace: WinSXS folder, system32\version.dll, REGISTRATION, mmc.exe (identical in both versions), mmcbase.dll, mmcndmgr.dll (identical in both versions), mmcshext.dll.

The three critical system files which are accessed early on when gpedit.msc starts:: ntdll.dll, shell.dll and kernel32.dll. I've not tried to overwrite these (yet).

Result in XP HE:

gpedit.msc > Tools menu: Disable Internet Options menu option in: User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer\Browser menus.

The correct registry key to be changed should be:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions

NoBrowserOptions

Instead it wrote to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\

Group Policy Objects\LocalUser\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Restrictions

NoBrowserOptions

And the new key will not stick after gpedit.msc is closed.