USB Printer problem (can't install or uninstall)

Cannot install or uninstall old printers through Add/Remove Programs. Allow me to explain. Originally, I could not get my I/O Magic 3.5" HDD enclosure to be discovered via USB. Thought perhaps that my USB 2.0 card was the problem, so I uninstalled it, plus all drivers relying on it, and removing all USB items from Device Manager in Safe Mode. However, at that point, Windows would freeze (unlocked with control/alt/delete) upon trying to uninstall printer drivers (a Samsung ML-1740 and a Lexmark Z25). I was able to fix the USB/HDD detection issue with those 2.2 USB drivers on this website (thanks), but I can't seem to get the darn printer issue fixed. Before I found that USB/HDD fix, I had tried the following:

1. Reinstalled the 98SE2ME, using the #1 selection.

2. Installed the 2.0 Unofficial Windows SE Service Pack.

I'm wondering; should I try to install something else? My guess is that the entire print features of Windows are now screwed up, and need reinstalled, but where, I don't know. Thanks for your help.

1.  Reinstalled the 98SE2ME, using the #1 selection.

2.  Installed the 2.0 Unofficial Windows SE Service Pack.

Please install these packs in this order:

1- Remove all related (printer) drivers from Add/Remove Programs and Device Manager in Safe Mode.

2- Boot in normal mode.

3- Close ALL open programs (antivirus, ICQ, etc.).

4- Install Service Pack.

5- Install 982ME.

6- Install USB 2.2 drivers.

Service Pack and 982ME has newer and better USB files, so they contain some USB improvements.

Thanks guys for the replies; yes, indeed I had installed the 2.2 drivers, but I did not install them in the order that Gape mentioned.

One problem, though. As I stated in my previous post, I can't uninstall the printer drivers through Add/Remove Programs. The uninstallers lock up, which I can close through Task Manager. So I'm at a loss as to how to do so. I'll wait for a reply regarding this to see what you folks think before I do things in Gape's order.

Ok, decided to do things Gape's way, but I still can't install the Samsung printer (only one I care about). As it finishes its install the program mentions "printer repair/install failure", and no matter if I uninstall, reinstall or try a repair install of the drivers, it doesn't work. No printer is showing up in the "Printers" except my crummy Lexmark. Don't know what to do next.

Ok, decided to do things Gape's way, but I still can't install the Samsung printer (only one I care about).  As it finishes its install the program mentions "printer repair/install failure", and no matter if I uninstall, reinstall or try a repair install of the drivers, it doesn't work.  No printer is showing up in the "Printers" except my crummy Lexmark.  Don't know what to do next.

These USB 2.2 drivers are generally for storage-based devices Flash Disks, Cameras etc. So you need to (re)install your printers' drivers individually.

Has your printers USB connection? Did they work previously before these packs?