Brake on my PC performance

thrash7

Hi,

I have a pc which I bought about a year ago. It has a P4 2.6GHZ, 512MB , and an radeon 9600PRO. Of course i bought this system for gaming, and I'm very happy with it! But I also wanna download and use my pc for things which doesnt require any performance (internet, office, downloading).

Is there a way to make a kind of 'half-sleep-mode' or something in which the performance of my pc reduces to a very low level, and the fanspeed too? This way my pc will make less noise and produces less heat. Is this possible?

well i dont know of any half sleep mode but if its just the heat and the noise issues,, how about changing your cooling out to water instead of a basic fan / air set up..

plus it couldnt hurt to clean out the fans to make sure no dust is blocking them from working properly, and if thats not it, try to disconect ore fan at a time to try to pin point where the noise is coming from,

also try rubber gromets to dampen the noise caused by cases vibration.

or you could just go out and buy some nice silent fans and pw,,

but thats just my thoughts on the sound,,

plus you could also add a fan speed controller..

If you are using the intel stock cooler on the CPU, get it off and get yourself a nice quiet Zalman CNPS7000 Flower cooler. That should cut loads of the noise out and wont cost you the earth in the process

I'm srry, i don't wanna spend any money. I was justing curious if its possible to set my pc on a lower-performance lvl. Because I dont need that much power when using office and internet. Is there some solution?

There are applications used to set your cpue at idel when your not using it.

This will cool the cpu, and if you have smart fan on your mainboard, the fanspeed will lower.

However, im not totally positive thats what your asking

|Drew|

It's kind of what I'm asking. At least closer than a solution by buying all kinds of stuff :D . Thx.

What I wanna reach is something in what I can put my computer in somekind of mode or something in what it will use less power, less performance, less heat, less noise. (I don't know if my 'half-sleep-mode' was a good explanation :P )

I suppose you could under-clock your system, but that involves BIOS changes each time you want to use it. But unless you have a set of variable speed fans in your machine, it will still be just as noisey, but will produce less heat, but the performance will take a hit at the same time.

I personally have never tried this, as I like to build my machines as quiet and as powerful as possible from the start.

SpeedFan is free and works very well. Allows fan speed control either manual min/max or automatic control depending on the temp. max you set. Also monitors and allows chnanges to SMART, hdd temp, and PSU voltage. Newer boards are supported to make direct changes (including CPU speed) and special rules. Either OC or UC can be triggered for specific programs.

What kind of mobo do you have? Most mobo makers have some sort of clock utility. abit uguru, intel and asus have windows based clocking util's as i'm sure the other makers do as well. Your computer seems new enough that direct changes should be allowed. Also, tighten ALL the screws inside, a free DIY that always helps. Take out cd's when not in use to kill noise as well.

Edited by LiquidSage

Speedfan is a good solution when you want to kill the noise but, be sure to check the temperature of your CPU as lowering the RPM of your fan will increase your CPU temperature. On the other hand, if you don't use stressing programs the temperature won't increase that much. Try it out!