width and length of a 15.4 wide screen ?

grafx1

h=22.7''

w=30.3''

this is about what it is, give or take .1

what exactly do u need this info for?

(i think this dimensions are for 15" not wide screen !!)

i was thinking of buying a one !!!

is the 15.4" wide screen comfortable or the 15"

and is the text readable ?

Thank you so much for your time :)

Edited by grafx1

I've got a 15.4" WXGA (1280x800) display on my laptop and it's fantastic. Text is very readable. If you go for higher resolutions, it becomes more difficult to read, IMO.

The widescreen also allows you to have two documents open side by side for comparison or reference. Very handy if you're learning something new and need your reference document open while you're writing your real one.

Oh... and the obvious advantage of widescreen movies is there as well. :thumbup

Just think about it like this, the width is like a 17", hight like a 15" (a bit bigger, just 32 pix ;) ). I sold this kind of laptops a lot last month. Cool thing; these labtops come with fast ATI cards too :D (brand: HP).

I think there's some confusion here.

ripken204, if your resolution is 1280x800 then you have a proper 16:10 aspect ratio widescreen display.

For the actual dimensions, you can figure them out with some simple math. If you want, I can probably post up my work, but the end result is that the screen would be

W: 36.4cm = 14.3 in

H: 22.7cm = 8.95 in

As for the resolution, it depends on what you buy. WXGA is specified to be 1280x800, which I find the most comfortable for reading. Anything higher than that and you start having to strain to read text.

I've got a 17" CRT monitor as well set to 1280x960 and I have no troubles going from one screen to the other.

Since we know the ratios of the sides, we can use Pythagoras' Theorem to solve this problem (Google for more info).

triangle.jpg

From here...

(16x)^2 + (10x)^2 = (15.4)^2
196x^2 + 100x^2 = 237.16
296x^2 = 237.16
x^2 = 0.80122
x = 0.8951

With that, we simply put these back into the corresponding side lengths from our diagram:

16x = 14.3
10x = 8.95

Since the original measurement of the diagonal was in inches, these numbers are also in inches. Multiply them by 2.54 to get them into cm.

Hope this helps!