Long list of files that XP Setup "Can't Find"

LuckMan212

OK I installed XP OEM version on top (in-place upgrade) of my normal retail version by accident (that's a whole other story). Of course I couldn't activate, so I did a re-install of my original XP over the OEM version.

During the re-install, I got errors from Setup saying it needed XYZ file, for about 30 different files. I had to click "Cancel" for all of them, even though they were sitting right there on the CD (I clicked Browse... and the files were all right there!) -- for some reason Setup didn't "like" those versions, maybe it was looking for an OEM version or something?

Anyway here's the list of files it asked for, in the order they were asked for.:

MIGREGDB.EX_
ICWCONN1.EX_
ICWCONN2.EX_
INETWIZ.EX_
ICWHELP.DL_
ICWCONN.DL_
ICWUTIL.DL_
ICWRMIND.EX_
ICWDL.DL_
ICWX25A.DU_
ICWX25B.DU_
ICWX25C.DU_
ICWIP.DU_
PHONE.IC_
PHONE.VE_
STATE.IC_
MSICW.IS_
MSN.IS_
SUPPORT.IC_
MSOBSHEL.HT_
ISIGNUP.EX_
ICWTUTOR.EX_
ICWRES.DL_
TRIALOC.DL_
OOBEINFO.IN_
OEMLOGO.GI_
MOUSE.HT_
ISP.HT_
OEMPRIV.HT_

Does anyone know what these are or if they are important? My XP seems to be OK but it sure is annoying to have to click "cancel" 100 times during a setup of XP and I would like to fix the problem somehow.

thanks!!

:yes:

I doubt it--

All of these parts are working perfectly- what I think happened is that putting on the OEM version somehow altered or damaged an entry in my registry so that during this Upgrade install, setup thinks I need certain version (OEM?) of these files which apparently is not on the "retail" disc.

Anyway just in case, here are some MD5/SHA1/CRC-32 hashes of the first file in my list. Can someone please check their XP SP2 install disc and verify that they get the same hash values?

if you need a great (free) tool to check File hashes, I recommend HashTab shell extension: http://www.beeblebrox.org/hashtab/index.php

Thanks.

MIGREGDB.EX_          MD5: F0FAF54886068E84670442C8AB6C3A9C
                     SHA1: F9253FCD04D30898FDC4B3960A53DECFA247C630
                    CRC32: EAA8E872

Here's the things to think about:

What service pack did you have installed on XP originally?

What service pack does the install cd have?

If you're like me, you have an install CD with SP1, and your system is patched to SP2 (or some later patch). I'm trying to do a reinstall of WinXP, and when I inserted a borrowed xpsp2 install cd it stopped asking for files.

I'm going through the same problem - slipstream a CD with the same SP as your system, and you may resolve your issue. That's what I'm doing at this time.

There's info within this forum how to do it... I've tried different methods, I'm going to try this one tonight. MSFN - universal slipstreaming guide

Good luck