How do you reboot the PC using Remote Desktop?

GLO

• 4 months later...
In "Run" box type "taskmgr". From shutdown menu choose "Restart" . Be careful not to choose "Turn Off"!

for some reason, after i do this it wont let me log back in until someone logs in first??

you may try this:

start - run

type "shutdown -r -t xx"  xx=how many xx seconds to execute this command

press enter

Thanks! But i think the first reply should do be a bit easier to remember.

Click Start -> Windows Security -> Shut Down.

This would only shutdown, not reboot; which is what i really need.

maybe instead of using the horrible Remote Desktop Feature of XP you could instead use something like UltraVNC or TightVNC. both are alot more secure and have alot more features to play with. Just a suggestion.

Edited by ScubaSteve

Click Start -> Windows Security -> Shut Down.

This would only shutdown, not reboot; which is what i really need.

Actually this would produce a drop down menu with various options, including shut down, restart, log off..... :)

Edited by warrior1109

That's a GPO setting that you can configure...

but, there's an completely other way:

Right-click My Computer and choose manage. Instead of "Local computer", point it to the remotely controlled PC if possible. Then right click on "Computer Management" and choose Properties.

Then select the Advanced tab, Startup and recovery settings button, and there you will find a Shutdown button at your disposal.

This is a very hidden but very handy way, you don't even have to use RDP anymore

When I'm at work and logged on to my home computer via remote desktop I always right click on the taskbar, choose Task Manager, choose Shut Down, and then choose Restart. However, I think I have to agree that there are other remote programs that are more secure. If you're going to utilize microsoft's remote desktop you'd better have a secure password.

I've read that you can easily tunnel RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) over SSH (Secure Shell).

I considered tunnelling VNC (Virtual Network Computing) over SSH for use with my Pocket PC Phone (Samsung I700) because the Terminal Services client on Windows Mobile 2003 Phone Edition is so poor. Currently, I'm happily using pcAnywhere Mobile, but I'd still like to try the VNC/SSH combo.

• 2 years later...