Registry Tweaks Pt 3

I have a new usefull registry tweak I use

Clear header and footer from page setup in IE.

No more ugly header and footer when you print a page in IE.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\PageSetup]
"header"=""
"footer"=""

I posted this before but this tweak was never added to the updated file.

It's purpose is this.

If you are like most people you have folder options set to open each new folder in the same window. The problem is what if you want to open the next folder in a different window? You would normally have to go back through "My Computer" and browse to that folder just to get that folder open in a separate window. I haven't seen this in this thread but this is how i do it.

This adds an option in the right-click (context) menu to open any folder on your computer in a new window.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shell\openNew]
@="Open In New &Window"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shell\openNew\Command]
@="explorer %1"

Some tweaks would seem to require clarification to avoid confusion esp. for beginners or anyone blindly trying to apply them. I've not read ALL the reg tweak trhreads on the forum so please bear with me if some points have been discussed before.

Disable Alerter and Messenger Service: default in XP SP2 so it's only needed pre-SP2;

EnablePrefetcher 3 (boot and program prefetch): this setting is not the quickest option: 2 (boot only) is in my opinion;

QoS service tweak is often misinterpreted to speed up broadband: add a comment to this effect.

Broadband tweaks may not suit each one's settings and should really be applied after verifying the MTU value;

Disable Security Center: the reg entries as such include settings to disable specific prompts: to do the former only requires turning off the service;

Modifying the Autocheck Time-out Value - I think this is for NTFS only and only to get rid of auto check disk when it occurs. It should not normally be required.

Optimize the Windows Server Service - is it suitable for XP?

System Services tweaks: the following all have 00000002 = Automatic, shouldn't all these be 00000004?

Disable Routing and Remote Access Service

Disable Task Scheduler Service

Disable Telephony Service

Disable Imapi CD-Burning Service

Disable SSDP Discovery Service

Disable Universal Plug'n'Play Service

Disable Background Intelligent Transfer Service (needs to be on for SP2 Windows Auto Updates)

LargeSystemCache"=dword:00000001 -> for server rather than XP; any benefit in XP?

Remove Alexa Spyware (comes built in Windows by default)-> Is it no longer there in SP2? It's usually removed by Spybot Search and Destroy.

Configuring the Registry Size Limit - for Win2k only? the reg has no size limit in xp;

Disable Windows File Protection - add comment about sfc_os.dll;

Make the Windows XP registration with Microsoft unnecessary -> registration is not mandatory; does this stop the registration prompt during setup?

Do not use Simple File Sharing => add comment: does not work in XP HE

Clear recent documents when you log-off  -> if you apply:

Disable Recent Documents History or NoInstrumentation tweak, then it shouldn't be necessary;

Enable Quick Launch - there is a thread about some difference between SP1 v. SP2

disable unread mail message at welcome screen -> not normally required; to correct a bug only?

I need some more confirmation before making all these changes :)

I need some more confirmation before making all these changes  :)
I can confirm some of them, although one should keep in mind that I am far from a registry expert...
Disable Alerter and Messenger Service: default in XP SP2 so it's only needed pre-SP2;
Messenger Service is definitely disabled by default. Alerter I'm not sure about, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was.
EnablePrefetcher 3 (boot and program prefetch): this setting is not the quickest option: 2 (boot only) is in my opinion;
I agree on this one too. Prefetching every single program you ever run on your PC can cause the prefetch folder to become overly bloated.
Broadband tweaks may not suit each one's settings and should really be applied after verifying the MTU value;
Definitely true. I am not familiar with the particular tweak he is referencing, but every ISP is different, so optimum tweaking for each user is going to be different.
Disable Security Center: the reg entries as such include settings to disable specific prompts: to do the former only requires turning off the service;
True again. If the Security Center service is disabled, there is no need to disable each individual prompt (Anti-Virus, Automatic Updates and Firewall) that the Security Center offers. I would recommend that these tweaks be left in place, however, as they are useful to users like me who only want to disable some features of the Security Center and not the whole thing in its entirety.
System Services tweaks: the following all have 00000002 = Automatic, shouldn't all these be 00000004?

Disable Task Scheduler Service

Disable Telephony Service

Disable Imapi CD-Burning Service

Disable SSDP Discovery Service

Disable Universal Plug'n'Play Service

Disable Background Intelligent Transfer Service (needs to be on for SP2 Windows Auto Updates)

This is true as well. If the tweaks are going to be labeled "Disable," it only makes sense to assign the correct values to disable those services. My own tweak file contains a listing of many different services, and notes right at the start of the section the different values that can be assigned to achieve the desired effect.
Do not use Simple File Sharing => add comment: does not work in XP HE
Suppose it could be worth adding. It is true that Home Edition only supports Simple File Sharing.
Clear recent documents when you log-off  -> if you apply:

Disable Recent Documents History or NoInstrumentation tweak, then it shouldn't be necessary;

I'm not sure about this one. I'm not enitely sure what gets cleared by these tweaks. I know recent document history for Windows itself as well as for individual applications is stored in the registry, but I'm unsure just how clean any of these tweaks will scrub it.
Enable Quick Launch - there is a thread about some difference between SP1 v. SP2
This tweak is mis-labeled. The binary value contained in that tweak is designed to make your Taskbar look exactly like the one from which that value was taken. This includes such things as which Toolbars are visible, what size they should be, what order the icons should be in, etc... The best way to use this tweak is to configure your Taskbar exactly the way you like it, and then export that value from your own registry for use in your tweak file. For links to several threads on this topic, see my previous post in this thread here. Edited by Cartoonite

I want to turn off System Restore on all drives except the root partition, which is obviously C:\, by tweaking registry. Untill now, i've to do it manually everytime by right-clicking My Computer and them selecting System Restore Tab therein. Is there any way to do the same by a .REG file?

Waiting kind response...

Interesting idea. :P I gave a try with RegShot but didn't get any results that seemed likely. also googled around to see if there was some other way to automate this... didn't find much except that it might be possible using Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) but i've never used that before. anybody else?

I apologize if this should have been a new post, but it's kinda been drilled into my head to add to a thread instead of starting a new one if at all possible. But this seems relevant to the reg. tweaks thread.

I think I can actually add something new! I recently Unzipped something in my root directory of my only hard drive (C:) (It created a folder called "Program") and got a message in the attached screen shot. (It shows up durring windows boot).

post-32267-1120821262_thumb.jpg

I did a registry compare after checking the "Don't perform this check at startup" and found this.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DontShowMeThisDialogAgain]
"RogueProgramName"="yes"

Some interesting items / points.

1. On bootup.... It always opens, in explorer, "C:\Program".

2. If I close it (the explorer window) right away, it opens it up again.

3. If I do item 2 several times durring bootup, it quite often does item 1 again.

4. If I check "Don't perform..." it won't display the message box, but it STILL opens

"C:\Program" resulting in the nifty close/open/close loop (see item 1).

5. If I edit the registry entry above to "RogueProgramName"="no", it gives me the attached message box.

6. If I then have done item 5, and check the "Don't perform..." box, it never revises the registry to "yes"!!!! And no amount of checking that box gets rid of the message! (The message goes away, but it re-appears on next bootup).

7. If I delete the Value "RogueProgramName" but leave the Key "DontShowMeThisDialogAgain", then on next reboot, check the box "Don't Perform..." it will again create the registry entry (as seen in the above code box) and the message is gone, (but again it keeps opening "C:\Program") see item 4.

So basically the registry entry seems to get rid of the message warning the user of how a folder called "C:\Program" is bad and should be renamed, but regardless, it keeps openeing that folder in explorer, and if there's already a Value called "RogueProgramName" it never seems to alter it (even though the checked check box in the message would lead you to believe it would).

So perhaps a usefull tweak to add to your list, but still annoying that it opens that folder.

Any comments?

Edited by JoeMSFN

I apologize if this should have been a new post, but it's kinda been drilled into my head to add to a thread instead of starting a new one if at all possible. But this seems relevant to the reg. tweaks thread.

I think I can actually add something new!  I recently Unzipped something in my root directory of my only hard drive (C:) (It created a folder called "Program") and got a message in the attached screen shot. (It shows up durring windows boot).

...but still annoying that it opens that folder.

Any comments?

No comment on the registry entry you mentioned, but I suspect the problem with the folder is linked back to the old 8.3 naming scheme used by DOS and some older applications. Under that naming scheme, C:\Program Files is renamed to C:\Progra~1. I've never been 100% sure of the way it works, but I suspect your new folder called Program would also be renamed, because of its similarity to the already truncated Program Files folder. I also suspect that it would be truncated to Progra~1, forcing the Progam Files folder to change its own truncated name to Progra~2. Any applications that referenced your Program Files folder by its truncated name would then be pointing to the wrong place.

Let me know if that didn't make sense and I will try to clarify it.

Some corections in latest Registry tweaks (Last Updated: April 02/Mars 16 2005)

Bad Registry entries:

;-----  Show file extensions
"HideFileExt"=dword:00000001; incorrect

;-----  Enable Cascading of various special folders on Start Menu
"CascadeControlPanel"="YES"  ; incorrect
"CascadeMyDocuments"="YES"  ; incorrect
"CascadeNetworkConnections"="YES"; incorrect
"CascadePrinters"="NO"  ; incorrect
"StartMenuScrollPrograms"="NO"  ; No Relation
"IntelliMenus"=dword:00000000  ; No Relation
"TaskbarSizeMove"=dword:00000001; No Relation

The corrected Version:

;                                       Task Bar and Folder View
; Don't Remember each folder's view Setting (1=Remember)
"ClassicViewState"=dword:00000001  
;-----
;----- Start menu Items: Hide/Show/Cascade
;----- dword:00000000= Don't display this time
;----- dword:00000001= Display as a link
;----- dword:00000002= Display as a menu (Cascade)
"Start_ShowControlPanel"=dword:00000002  ; Display Control Pannel as a menu
"StartMenuFavorites"=dword:00000002  ; Show Favorites Menu
"Start_ShowHelp"=dword:00000001  ; Show Help and Support link
"Start_ShowMyComputer"=dword:00000002; Display My Computer as a menu
"Start_ShowMyDocs"=dword:00000002; Display My Documents as a menu
"Start_ShowMyMusic"=dword:00000000; Don't display My Music this time
"Start_ShowMyPics"=dword:00000000; Don't display My Pivtures this time
"Start_ShowNetConn"=dword:00000001; Display Network Conn. as a link
"Start_ShowPrinters"=dword:00000001; Show Printers and Faxes as a link
"Start_ShowRun"=dword:00000001; Display Run Command
"Start_ShowSearch"=dword:00000001; Display Search Command

; Display Set prog. Acc. and Def.
"Start_ShowSetProgramAccessAndDefaults"=dword:00000001

"Start_ShowRecentDocs"=dword:00000002; Display My Recent Docs as a Menu

; Display System Admin. Tools in Start Menu
"Start_AdminToolsRoot"=dword:00000002  

; Display System Adm[attachmentid=7399]in. Tools in All Prog. Menu
"StartMenuAdminTools"=dword:00000001  

; Icon Size of Programs: 0=Small, 1=Large
"Start_LargeMFUIcons"=dword:00000000
"Start_MinMFU"=dword:00000009    ; Number of programs in  start Menu (Hex)

; Enable Drag&Drop Start Menu Items (0=Disable)
"Start_EnableDragDrop"=dword:00000001

; Enable Scroll of Start Menu Items (0=Disable)
"Start_ScrollPrograms"=dword:00000001  

"Hidden"=dword:00000002    ;Show Hidden Files and Folders (1= Do not Show)
"ShowSuperHidden"=dword:00000000; Hide Protected OS files (1= Show)

"HideFileExt"=dword:00000000                  ; Show file extensions

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CabinetState]

; Display the  Full Path in the Title Bar(pls  Restart!)
"FullPath"=dword:00000001
; Display the  Full Path in the Address Bar
"FullPathAddress"=dword:00000001  

; to be continued...

:)

MyRegs.txt

Edited by ykaramati2

Guys thanks for all the bug reports and additions. IF one of you could make all the changes to the txt file and upload it here, I would appreciate that as I do not have much free time :)

A registry setting that keeps Windows Calculator and the Character Map from modifying the win.ini file on exit. Credits to Aaron Margosis

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\win.ini]
"SciCalc"="USR:Software\\Microsoft\\SciCalc"
"MSUCE"="USR:Software\\Microsoft\\CharMap"

And a key that makes the Administrators group the owner of new files made by an administrator, instead of that administrators account. (This is the default Windows 2003 behaviour and helps when running LUA) This tweak also by Aaron Margosis

;Make the Administartors group the owner of files instead of the individual Administrator account
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
“nodefaultadminowner”=dword:00000000

Edited by Nazgul

I want to turn off System Restore on all drives except the root partition, which is obviously C:\, by tweaking registry. Untill now, i've to do it manually everytime by right-clicking My Computer and them selecting System Restore Tab therein. Is there any way to do the same by a .REG file?

Waiting kind response...

Interesting idea. :P I gave a try with RegShot but didn't get any results that seemed likely. also googled around to see if there was some other way to automate this... didn't find much except that it might be possible using Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) but i've never used that before. anybody else?

Here's the code:

strComputer = "."

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _

& "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\default")

Set objItem = objWMIService.Get("SystemRestore")

errResults = objItem.Disable("")

Save as .vbs and use cscript to run from your unattended batch file. Cheers!

hey :hello:

i have been looking for some tweaks and found a tweak that Sets view settings for My Computer to icon view and don't arranges icons in groups, but it doesnt work, doesn anyone have suggestions....here's the code:

; Set view settings for My Computer to icon view and don't arrange icons in groups.
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU]
"NodeSlots"=hex:02
"MRUListEx"=hex:00,00,00,00,ff,ff,ff,ff
"0"=hex& #58;14,00,1f,50,e0,4f,d0,20,ea,3a,69,10,a2,d8,08,0
0,2b,30,30,9d,00,00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU\0]
"NodeSlot"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\Bags\1\Shell]
"WFlags"=dword:00000000
"ShowCmd"=dword:00000001
"FFlags"=dword:00000000
"Vid"="{0057D0E0-3573-11CF-AE69-08002B2E1262}"