XP install with RIS

Hi all I have a problem where when installing from RIS when it tries to format the hard drive it fails with an error saying hard drive might be damaged but seems to work fine installing from a CD. Has anyone seen this before

• 3 months later...

Is the computer a Dell or some other major manufacturer? If so, then you might need to blank out the HD before hand. Many of the OEMs are including hidden partitions on their systems now, and I had a similar issue with RIS before I manually erased the hidden partitions.

• 5 weeks later...

Ironically, that error message is usually an error with the NIC drivers rather than the hard disk (go figure). Make sure that you've integrated the latest drivers for the NIC you're using to PXE boot the machine into the i386 source of your RIS install (as per http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315279). That should fix it.

I myself was just having that issue about 20mins ago. I had made a copy of our production image (so I could test the integrated patches in a non-production environment) when I started getting that same error. Don’t know if this will help or not but I made sure that I had no spaces in the directory name of the image. For instance:

Windows.XP.SP2.Production

The test image that I was using was in a directory called

Copy Of Windows.XP.SP2.Production

After I renamed the directory I restarted the services (all 4) and that seemed to have corrected my problem.

Hope that helps a little.