WINDOWS or LINUX

sheiksoft

Which operating system is the BEST...?  

297 members have voted

1. 1. Which operating system is the BEST...?

• Windows
    • Linux

:whistle:

Silly but funny this poll. :P

I vote for linux : I use a dual boot : Windows in order to work for the office and Linux for home.

Differents steps of knowledge between Win and Lin .

Win is more easier to use and parameting.

Lin is more efficient but hard to learn (in first approach).

Definately not true for the "Noob"; Most linux distros have complete integrated drivers, and installers now that equal surpass the best nLite integrated "Unattended" install CD's for a completely "hands off" installation...  Most consumer Linux interfaces are id*** proof (or more so then Windows), and there's vrtially no risk of Vx, malware, or other exploits -- perfect for the "Noob"...

:)

Ever found a distro with integrated wireless drivers? or found an easy way of installing wireless drivers in Linux in general?

A true "n00b" would have a much easier time finding programs and settings in Windows than in Linux. The thought of typing commands in is scary to most "n00bs".

Mandriva has intergrated wireless drivers and it works flawless. Linux does not need the commandline typing thing, take a look at mandriva or suse.

I use Debian for home use and I have another machine for playing certain games.

Mandriva has intergrated wireless drivers and it works flawless. Linux does not need the commandline typing thing, take a look at mandriva or suse.

I use Debian for home use and I have another machine for playing certain games.

Does Linux support WPA/WPA2? I've heard that even WEP support is flaky at times. I'm interested in this, since I need to log into our UNIX servers at my university and run apps through X11, so a working dual boot would be kinda nice.

Oh... and KDE is ugly! :P I'd only use Gnome on my computer. I'm managing a Debian webserver, and it's great for that, but I couldn't see myself using it for a personal computer.

2Zxian: I encountered many problems with linux + wifi :( I am not linux guy, however I tried to solve some problem with *nix professionals...

There is only one good place for linux in wifi network - acting as Radius + Kerberos server between AP and AD... :(

• 1 month later...
I don't want to start a flame war drive here but if you really look at the average home user smuck they barely know where the power switch is. So, how the heck would they be able to tweak linux..........

Windows is setup for plug and play all the way baby......

now for me LINUX sucks cause the driver support is slim to none...

and I run mobile docks and LINUS will not support that either..........

Ever time I try Linux the kernel crashes for some stupid reason so weigh the difference do the same in windows no crashs......... I donot have the patience to figure out why........ or how to fix it,

windows software is so much better.. When you get a crappy application just look for a new vendor that has program that works.. Too many to choice from.....

An as far as windows goes learn how to lock it down so you will not get infected..........

I DO say LINUX OS sucks

BUT I throw

99.9% of windows 3rd party vender's software that I test drive in the waste can cause it doesn't work.............

Troll.

Windows isn't that great either, man. Just got a new computer and after finally setting it all up and getting Windows working, I found myself rebooting ever five minutes because software was installed or updates were just applied. That gets annoying, and its unexcusable; Microsoft has had plenty of time to fix this; its depressing and should be embarrassing for them because they've only decided to address this problem now.

Plus, the one thing I think you should have highlighted but didn't is the ammount of community support. If my Kernel crashes, I can post the message on a forum and get an exact answer as to what happened and how to fix it within a day. If Windows encounters the BSOD, I post that message and I'll get "uhh it could be this or this or this" or "talk to MS". Linux is, ultimately, the more community friendly operating system as people can truly say they understand how it works underneath the hood.

Which is better? You can say that one sucks, but then you really have to be honest with yourself and say that they both suck. They both have their advantages and disadvantages; neither is perfect for everyone.

Use nLite to integrate SP2, your Windows Updates, your drivers, add dozens of tweaks and do Unattended, remove 160+ components slimming your XP down by 445 MBs or so ( I do this, doesn't mean you remove that much!) and use quality software and not junk.

After you do all this, Windows becomes more like Linux because it is slimmer, smoother, faster and a lot more secure.

I just can't wait to buy a new computer, unfortunately I'll stick with mine for at least 3 years I hope. But as soon as I have 2 boxes, I'm sure gonna try and fool around with Linux. Except for what everyone already said on pros and cons, I think Linux would be more popular if they had less versions. It sure is an advantage of open source cause things develop faster and can be better when everyone does his part. But it can also become confusing with the version number, what you have installed, how it was coded, and this applies to each and every Linux "brand".... So in the end, for the average user who would like to try Linux, just starting up can be painful. I heard about RedHat, there is also EduLinux... if I had a computer right now I wouldn't now which one to chose in the begining.

But I'm not closing the Linux door, this looks promising and will be even more as the product becomes better and easier to use. And who can't fall for that cute pinguin anyway!!

i posted in this thread before, but i have more to add...

"which is the most user friendly OS" almost seems like a loaded question. the blatantly obvious answer seems like it should be "windows", but...

if you install a vanilla copy of windows without knowing a good deal about security, JS, activeX, registry editing, configuration file editing, networking, services, etc., etc., you're NOT going to have a secure system at all. without a secure system you invite spyware, adware, viruses, trojans, etc.. so, how long will it remain "user friendly"? out-of-the-box windows is, IMO, a joke. *nix (like mandrake, suse, ubuntu, etc.), on the other hand, is far more secure than windows. although i've not spent very much time with linux, i found it to be fairly user friendly without having to dig into its core and since, to me, "user friendly" means that i shouldn't have to tweak it to death to get it to work well, my vote goes to linux.

that having being said, i like windows :) BUT, although i'm not even remotely close to "expert" status, i do know my way around windows fairly well; well enough that i know i don't need to be using IE, OE, activeX, windows update, messenger, error reporting, yada yada yada. as a result of my limited experience i run a heavily tweaked, heavily nLite'd version of XP Pro that meets 95% of my needs and is very stable doing so, and will continue to do so for several years without reinstalling! then again, since i bumped into nLite, i'm lucky if i can resist the urge to reinstall -- it's just so much **** fun!

Windows is better, for me. Dependency problems, and so much bloat, the apps incliuded MUST stay installed otherwise I risk breaking something else.

I am of few who actually know how to use Windows, especially as non-admin.

Oh yeah, well worth the $ spent.

Edited by redxii

You can always find hardware drivers for Windows fairly easily.  That sometimes becomes a real challenge with Linux.  Also application dependency is aggravating with some Linux flavors.  I know RedHat has the getApp which makes it easier.

Tell that to my HP Omnibook 6100...

Heh 'Designed for Windows XP' my a**...the ####ing thing

doesn't support graphic drivers past SP1...

• 1 month later...

noth have there strongpoints and weakness. windows has an easy to use ui, it more application compatibility, among other things, but it also has security flaws, its bloated etc

with *nix, its secure, powerful and stable, but the ui isnt up to par with windows, and there are compatability problems