WINDOWS or LINUX

sheiksoft

Which operating system is the BEST...?  

297 members have voted

1. 1. Which operating system is the BEST...?

• Windows
    • Linux

I don't want to start a flame war drive here but if you really look at the average home user smuck they barely know where the power switch is. So, how the heck would they be able to tweak linux..........

Windows is setup for plug and play all the way baby......

Linux supports plug and play pretty good. Having no driver is another story :)

now for me LINUX sucks cause the driver support is slim to none...

and I run mobile docks and LINUS will not support that either..........

This is not Linux' or the hardware's fault. It's the company's responsibility to create the driver, but they may not deem it "worth persuing", or else have a restrictive contract in enchange for a discount from their OS vendor. Linux is getting better for hardware compatibility, but it's still trapped in the dark ages.

Ever time I try Linux the kernel crashes for some stupid reason so weigh the difference do the same in windows no crashs......... I donot have the patience to figure out why........ or how to fix it,

windows software is so much better.. When you get a crappy application just look for a new vendor that has program that works.. Too many to choice from.....

An as far as windows goes learn how to lock it down so you will not get infected..........

I DO say LINUX OS sucks

BUT I throw

99.9% of windows 3rd party vender's software that I test drive in the waste can cause it doesn't work.............

I hope no one sees me as a troll. So far, I've provided counter points based on whatever post I'm replying to (pro Linux Vs. Pro Windows). I'm just playing devils advocate in that sense.

You seem to have a few misconceptions about software in general that I'd like to clear up. First, Windows and Linux have very good documentation available. None have good documentation made by the vendors of any software; Most users usually have to check out a series of third party sources before they have a clue about how to use them. What Windows has over Linux is consistancy of the Interface. Microsoft also has a consistant API, and stresses backwards compatibility. Ironic, since I could see someone using a Win64 port of WINE to run Win16 applications :)

Another weakness that Linux suffers is one of distributions. I'll skip the arguement that Linux is a kernel, since I feel that, despite how legitamate it might seem, it usually ends up sounding like a method of avoiding the point - Which I feel is about hardware support. Windows Has the HCL, and Linux, to be frank, does not. Since the numerious distros that exist lack consistancy with hardware supprt, picking a distro does suck.

Now you make two arguements that I'd like to address. First, you say this:

windows software is so much better.. When you get a crappy application just look for a new vendor that has program that works.. Too many to choice from.....

Linux has many programs that perform the same things, and ironically, most have been ported to Windows. Here are a few programs that work in Linux AND windows: OpenOffice, AbiWord, Netscape, Firefox, Opera, NVu, BitTorrent, Gimp... And the list goes on. With Crossover Office, or other WINE varients, it's possible to run a lot more - Even now, people prefer to use Microsoft Office to Open Office in Linux. I have not included any Linux-only applications, because personally, I don't like most of them.

Finally, you say (edited for formatting):

I DO say LINUX OS sucks / BUT I throw / 99.9% of windows 3rd party vender's software that I test drive in the waste can cause it doesn't work.

There are virtually an unlimited number of third party Windows Software vendors, and MS Likes this. Heck, Microsoft likes Linux developers, too. This is why they nearly give away their developer kits, and try to lock people into MS.net's not-so-open APIs. You take an unlimited number of code monkeys with keyboards and compilers, and you will end up with the perfect software for your particular purpose. In the end, this is good for MS, and us, the end users (I mentioned before, and still maintain that I have an Ubuntu partition, but I don't use it half as often as Windows).

There is a lot more to hating an OS besides making up arbitrary percentages about how much software is available for another OS; not knowing enough to hate a particular thing about is simply ignorant. I once said Linux sucked without any reasoning behind it. Now I look forward to the day I can erase my NTFS and FAT partitions, ideally for some kind of SQLFS (MS or Linux :o).

Also, I now declare that the thread is officially derailed, and claim it in the name of... NINJAS!

WINDOWS or LINUX, Which is the most user friendly OS...?

The title itself says "user friendly OS", Windows indeed! No doubts!

:hello:

My point to "user friendly OS", as I stated above

I don't want to start a flame war drive here but if you really look at the average home user smuck they barely know where the power switch is. So, how the heck would they be able to tweak linux..........

i have a great deal more respect for Linux, it's user base (in general) and it's developers. unfortunately, i've never made the switch. part of the reason is that i've become so familiar with windows and other reasons include awful crappy drivers (minimal drivers that severely cripple the hardware) and hardware support. yeah, it's getting better, but it's taking a lot of time and still, IMO, has a good bit to go. i'm also a gamer, though i do less and less of it as i get older, and Linux sure isn't a gaming OS by a long shot.

xp pro + nLite + 9,999 other tweaks and i have an OS i like, that's easy to use, very fast and that runs most any software i want while being very stable.

i am voting for windows but that does'nt mean that i don't like linux cause i have never used it before but want to try it out.

How stable is the live cd for Linux ? and do you just down load the iso and burn it to a cd or do you have to order the linux cd ?

either way, what is the best method to go for a 1st time Linux user ? Thanx for the info

I would have to also agree that Windows is the more user-friendly OS. I consider myself a bit of a geek. My second computer was a 486 DX-2/66 with MS-DOS 6.22 (my first being a Commodore Amiga 2000), and it's safe to say I know my way around DOS. Having said that, using Linux is a completely different beast. I've played with a few distros, but in the end I always come back to Windows.

Of course, I'd say the biggest reason being that I love playing games on my PC, and games support for Linux is far inferior to that of Windows. I've run Win3.11, Win95a/95b, Win98se, WinME (it was free from MS, so sue me), Win2k (RC2 - SP4), WinXP (RC1-SP2) and now WinXP x64 (RC1-RTM). Even played some with NT4, but never ran it for myself. There's been issues and problems with all of them, sure. But Windows has improved greatly over time and I'm happy with Windows on my PC.

IMHO, Windows and Linux are two absolutely different OS with a similar interface and choice depends on the applications which are supposed to be running on it.

LOL I like that one...............

You don't mind if I use that on yahoo when the Linux nerds start posting use Linux ,,,,,,,, I find every time there is a article on windows they start there get Linux ,,,,,,,, And when you post learn how to lock down windows they come unglued ,,,,,,,,,, Yahoo seems to post crap on how the sky is falling all the time.. They are all clueless on how to use windows the proper way........ Windows out of the box trust everyone and software vendors gives you the keys to lock the door ..

This is a silly poll; 'best' for what? Installing and using Windows is a nightmare for the new user; my Grandmother for example could never handle or manage Windows; but Linux is effortless to install, setup and use for the uninitiated -- and requires virtually no security configuration or maintainence.

For someone that requires a slew of software, or specific software like Games, and programs that don't work Windows has an obvious niche...

:D

i would say the same thing about windows it is easiler then linux :D

Definately not true for the "Noob"; Most linux distros have complete integrated drivers, and installers now that equal surpass the best nLite integrated "Unattended" install CD's for a completely "hands off" installation... Most consumer Linux interfaces are id*** proof (or more so then Windows), and there's vrtially no risk of Vx, malware, or other exploits -- perfect for the "Noob"...

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Definately not true for the "Noob"; Most linux distros have complete integrated drivers, and installers now that equal surpass the best nLite integrated "Unattended" install CD's for a completely "hands off" installation...  Most consumer Linux interfaces are id*** proof (or more so then Windows), and there's vrtially no risk of Vx, malware, or other exploits -- perfect for the "Noob"...

:)

It depends what your definition of n00b is.

All in all Windws is perfect for the noob. (Remember: a n00b loves games).

Playin' games out-of-the-box is one of Windows' strong points when it comes to the n00b-factor. ;)