WINDOWS or LINUX

sheiksoft

Which operating system is the BEST...?  

297 members have voted

1. 1. Which operating system is the BEST...?

• Windows
    • Linux

My 2 cents....it depends on the user...frankly I am more used to XP and I am comfortable tweaking it as much as I can and so its a no brainer for me. It is however one of the most pain in the a** OSes out there to keep running nice and smooth. But given a professional Linux user, that user can leverage a lot more power out of the Linux OS along with a lot of performance if he/she sets it up right...problem is...then you are treading in unfamiliar teritory and the dreaded CLI! I like Linux technologically and I think it is the best OS out there period...right out of the box...but XP is more user friendly and easier for a lot of people to use no matter what Linux fanboys say...and it takes a lot of work to keep it maintained...like for example antivirus, antispware, antimalware, popup blockers and so on...so forth.

When I install Linux on my computer my first oppinion as a Windows-User... what's that...

But now I use Linux every day and after x configurations my Linux is nearly perfect and so i vote for Linux, it's maybe the better system without soooo many virus and other crazy things that i don't want to have...

I think this question depends high on how each person interprets "user friendly"

If by user friendly you mean... Having the most software titles available, and the most commonly used then that would be windows.

If by user friendly you mean... Coming with many of the most commonly used internet tools like a good web browser, and a few IRC Cliebts, mp3 player, etc then linux would be the answer.

Its all about your interpretation of the question.

• 3 weeks later...

I think most people just say Windows without thinking. America is soo brainwashed....

Windows is the most know to the avg PC user, and Windows is the only thing that new users have heard of. When a N00wBie buys a crapy PC like Dell, gateway, HP, ect... it comes prei-nstalled with yours truly - "Windows XXX". So for the most part people don't even have a clue about other OS's.

So when they hear of Linux, unix, red hat, ect.... they freak out and try to act cool by saying "Windows".

I would have to say Windows is the more freindly user type, but i only say that because once I was a n00Wbie too. And just like most of us, i used Windows because that is what my Family bought for me. But just imagine what today would be like if everyones first OS was a Linux, Unix, ect... based OS??? Then what would we say?? Linux - right?

If you have never tried anything else but Windows, then give it a try before saying Windows is the better one. Each OS's has a different plus and minus about them.

my 2 cents

my 2 cents.

I build super computers (clusters) and love Linux for what it can do.

I also love playing games so I have to use Windows and XP is ok as long as you don't add and remove things to often.

Linux seems more stable but there aren't so many home users playing with it as with Windows.

I'm glad nothing is perfect or I wouldn't have a job. :thumbup

I voted for Windows, but in fact you can't tell which of the two OS'es is better. They both have their strong and weak side.

From a users point of view the Windows Desktop has a more clear look and feel througout the entire system - thats what many users want, not those GTK/QT/Xlib or whatever inconsistent Look'n'Feel. And most of the Professional Applications company users are using to accomplish their daily work are only available on Windows (ok, this thing will probably change in some time in the future).

Another thing i really dislike are those distribution war's currently occur. Debian, RedHat, Fedora, Gentoo, Mandrake.... the list is endless. Some ISV's only support those distribution, some the other, some both. It's a complicated world out there.

I will not say that Linux is a bad operating system, it's a good one and i respect everyone who has contributed in the development process, but linux has in my believe it's only strength's when it comes to the feeling of freedom and for server side usage. It's free, sources are available for everyone, relativly stable and when someone know's what he's doing it's also a secure system.

Just my 2 cent's.

Egon

I think Linux has definitely gotten a lot better but the fact remains that people are more familiar with Windows and not Linux. People have this preconceived notion of Linux being hard and being a hobby OS for nerds and so on. While some of it is true...(try getting wireless or 3d hardware acceleration to work...last time I checked) and you will have to definitely resort to using the dreaded CLI. Linux will take at least the next 10-15 years to get mainstream like Windows...unless Longhorn bombs like nothing else...which I am quite sure MS wont let that happen...

Hmmm, well...

I was fan of Linux, however I changed my mind over time.

My brother is developer in one major linux company, so I am "in picture".

The problem is Linux is still heading their own way and it is not good way :( They cant go on normal users desktops - can you imagine BFU installing and using linux without problems? Without their games? Dont think so...

For corporate environment, it is slowly becoming disaster :( Since SAP announced strong cooperation with MS platform, linux lost this important role. In bigger/better company you cant live and work effeciently without ERP/CRM etc systems. And linux is getting out from this market.

So where is linux heading? Microsoft is quickly trying to fix their "holes" (I mean segments, where Linux was enemy).

SBS is replacing linux servers in SME segment.

Monad is not just oponent to bash, it is something far better than today shells.

The fact is I really love the way Microsoft took these days.

While linux is stable it is not ready for prime time. I used debian for about a year I found it amusing to say the least, but after the amusment wore off I found it to be a pain in the ***. Some programs could be found while others you have to get the bianary recompile it and if you want it to look and play nice put a graphical front end on it.

Stable but not user friendly