New office shrinkage tool "StripOffice"

Hi everybody!

From this topic I understand that BuckEyeXP is no longer around (or just won't reply in the section for ShrinkOffice???).

Since ShrinkOffice didn't work well for my Office XP Professional setup I decided to take matters into my own hands and rebuild ShrinkOffice from scratch. It works like a charm for my setup and I since I created it with a slightly different approach, I believe it should work for every Office version and most languages around (>2K) and could be easily "ported" to work with programs that have similair installers.

My post in the other topic

I believe this to be possible for sure!

Actually, I'm working on it right now.

The problem with ShrinkOffice is that it retrieves the handle for the window(s) based on the title and a piece of the text in the window ('cause the window titles are the same..  ). This approach has a couple of disadvantages :

- You need to define the window titles which differs per Office version

so when you want to support every setup, you'll need to manually add support

for it

- It's bound to Office and Office alone

This is actually but a guess... Since the sourcecode isn't available (well... I couldn't find it anyway), there's no way to tell for sure... But if you're familiar with AutoIT

you'll agree with me.

The version I'm working on, written from scratch ofcourse, takes different approach to retrieve those handles and thus avoiding the problem with

the difference in Office versions and languages...

It already works for Office XP Professional (Dutch) and it'll soon be tested on Office 2K3 Professional (Dutch aswell)... But since I don't have more Office versions I'll add a binary (see this topic)which generates a log when running ShrinkOffice.

(You have to run it simultaneously with "setup TRANSFORMS=yourmst.mst /qb" <-- no "-" at the end!).If anybody is interested, download it and post the results (or problems ) here.

That way I can check if I'm right and if it'll work on every setup. I *think*

that it won't work for Pre-2K versions (if they can be installed in the same way first of all) but you're welcome to try .

If that's the case, I'll finish the script and try to add support for a Universal Shrinkage Tool.

Heck, if anybody is interested in helping out, I'll even post the sourcecode in a couple of days/weeks so anybody can contribute !

Ps. In NO WAY is this topic a way to offend BuckEye... If he's still actively working on OfficeShrink, I'll just post the sourcecode and be "outta here" ;)

Edit: Download the tool CollectData.exe here

Microsoft Office

==================================================

Button1

0005011E

Cancel

msctls_progress321

0006010C

---------- Control has no text ----------

Static1

Static2

Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003

Static3

@Boooggy

I'll add a binary (see this topic)which generates a log when running ShrinkOffice.

(You have to run it simultaneously with "setup TRANSFORMS=yourmst.mst /qb" <-- no "-" at the end!).If anybody is interested, download it and post the results (or problems ) here.

(And look at Swampy's posts)

@Swampy

What do you mean "Nothing seems to happen" ?

CollectData.exe only does what it's filename implies... it's not the tool itself (I'll post it later.) To prevent mass-flame-problem posting, I'd like the contents of the log from CollectData so I can see if I'm right.

About the log you posted:

Looks VERY promising..... but I only see the logmessage for the main setup window. Did you close CollectData before it was finished ? (or just maybe I posted the wrong binary :huh: I'll double-check that when I get home.. and if it's the wrong version, I'll update it :thumbup ) If the full logfile contains the correct data StripOffice needs, I'll post StripOffice.exe and you can try it! :D

p.s. can you make a screenshot of the setup window and the error message (from the Office setup) if it doesn't work again??

p.s2. Maybe you can attach "Detect.log" (instead of posting it's contents) for space-saving purposes in this topic ? ;)

Microsoft Office
Button1
Cancel

msctls_progress321
0003010C

Static1
0003014E

Static2
0003010E

Static3
000B0148

Microsoft Office
Button1
Cancel

msctls_progress321
0003010C

Static1
0003014E

Static2
0003010E

Static3
000B0148

Microsoft Office
Button1
Cancel

msctls_progress321
0003010C

Static1
0003014E

Static2
0003010E

Static3
000B0148

Microsoft Office
Button1
Cancel

msctls_progress321
0003010C

Static1
0003014E

Static2
0003010E

Static3
000B0148

@swampy

p.s2. Maybe you can attach "Detect.log" (instead of posting it's contents) for space-saving purposes in this topic ? 

Do you know how to attach something? If not, let me know and I'll walk you through it.

@j_stam_84

Looks promising, though I don't have the time to test at the moment. Have you considered PMing buckeyeXP? He was active yesterday on the board, so he'll probably get it.

@Swampy

I'm sorry.. there seems to be a bug somewhere in the app.... :( I'll try to fix it this week..but since I'm very busy (preparing for school which starts in september.)

I'm thinking about just posting the sourcecode so you and/or other people can adjust StripOffice to your/their liking........

Regards