AMD 64 && SP2

slig

Hi,

I've just upgraded my Mobo/chip from a Northwood Celeron platform to an AMD64-4000. I figured it would be pretty straight forward to just shift the drives into the new rig, but when I powered it up Windows XP starts to go through the normal procedure then, when loading 'mup.sys' (in safe mode), it automatically reboots to restart the process ad infinitum.

I've flashed the BIOS firmware with a new version, and have also addressed a possible DEP issue by modifying my boot.ini file - apparently this broke some AMD platforms.

Anyway, it still continues to happen - so what i'm asking is if the problem would be due to the fact I have SP2 installed on the drives, or something else? I'd like to avoid rolling back to SP1 if I can and am not even slightly interested in reformatting my drives (why the hell should I have to?).

Mention has been made all over the web about an advisory MS released with regards to this problem, but I can't for the life of me find the advisory itself - so a link would be appreciated.

if anybody else has experienced this problem and has resolved it for a similar platform, i'd love to hear what steps you took to get your machine up and running.

You've given the reason why its doing it in the first line of your post lol

I've just upgraded my Mobo/chip from a Northwood Celeron platform to an AMD64-4000

Two completely different sets of hardware - xp just doesn't like it. There are numerous places telling you this information. The only cases where XP may not be affected (as bad) is when changing your motherboard, the new motherboard has a similar chipset to the old motherboard.

Say if you changed from one motherboard that was VIA-based to another motherboard that was via based, then you might get away with it - as i did :)

As you dont mention the chipsets used in both the old and the new motherboards, its hard to speculate there, but changing from a Intel CPU to a AMD 64bit CPU - I would have thought - is a drastic change as far as the installed XP is concerned (different hal's even, tho i dunno if thats true hehe)

The only options you have is either:

- Try fixing the boot files using the recovery console - boot the XP cd and choose R on the first screen you get to. Once you've got to the prompt (answering a few things on the way) you could try the command fixboot and see if that helps.

- Try a in-place repair - boot the XP cd - start going through the menus and choose to install over itself choosing the R (repair) option when you get to it

- cut your loses if u didnt really have much work on the windows partition and format it & reinstall XP

Note that even if ya do manage to repair it and get back into windows, there's gonna be a lot of redundant info in the system. It would be best saving any work you have - in a seperate partition, etc. - and then following the 3rd option above.

Regards and remember that XP aint as versatile as 98 when it comes to completely different systems to the original system it was install in.

Cheers,

Nath.

It could also be a problem with the licencing/activation of XP itself. XP records your major hardware components when you install, and uses these records for activation. It also helps prevent people from duplicating their install partitions and putting them in other computers (i.e. pirating).

As it_ybd said, a repair install would be best to get you back up and running. Back up all your important stuff and then do a clean install since your system may still "remember" the old hardware incorrectly.

Thanks guys, I might end up needing to go down the reinstall path - but i've *never* had to reformat/reinstall windows and am determined not to start. ;)

After about five hours work last night I was able to get the machine booting into safe mode, with all the correct drivers, through some finnicky registry hacks (i'll post them when I'm back at home and have the time).

The problem was due to my XP install not knowing about the VIA Bus Master IDE controller on the new board. I added the registry entries for the controller with a linux boot disk I made up, saved it out, rebooted and crossed fingers. In the space of about a minute I went from total elation to lower than low as it started to boot correctly, then blue screen after the windows loading screen with a STOP 7E error.

I'll keep plugging away at it tonight and post my fixes if I have any success. I feel pretty close now as everything is looking good in safe mode - so may be something really simple - just have to find what that something is!! :)

cheers.

When an xp installation doesn't boot on a new machine 90% of the times it's because of the old ide drivers. Who uses norton ghost to deploy windows images on a lot of pcs knows such problems very well :P

You'd better resize that partition and install windows on another you'll just lose a lot of time trying to find out which driver has your windows crashing.

BTW Via 4in1 drivers are the most naughy drivers around! Never install them unless an evil monkey who lives in your closet forces you to! Oh my! It heard me!! Gotta run :P

... you'll just lose a lot of time trying to find out which driver has your windows crashing.
Didn't take too long (about 30 minutes). Was one of those nasty VIA 4-in-1 drivers (AGP specifically). Creamed all my AGP drivers, booted into VGA mode to reinstall them and voilla. :D

Thanks for the tip Francesco.