RIS Trouble

Hi!

I am having BIG trouble with M$ RIS. :(:(

I use Windows 2003 Server Standard + SP1.

Here is what I do:

1. Install RIS on server

2. Create flat (CD-based) image, through RIS Setup wizard

3. I use this image to install my computer. Everything is OK, setup format disk, install OS (in my company, we still use Windows 2000 Pro) and connect it to domain.

4. On this new computer, I apply all patches (Windows Update) + install all necessary software.

5. Next step is to make image of this new computer on server, so I can use it to install new machines. As Help says, I do it with Riprep.exe. Everything is OK so far, no errors. Image is created successfully, no errors reported.

6. Now, problems - I try to install new computer with this image. I boot new computer from network, type username and password, choose image from menu, and installation starts. Setup is started and hard disk is formatted. And now - problem: blue screen whit white letters and error message:

System cannot copy \device\harddisk0\partition1\arcldr.exe

and, there is information that if I install from CD, I must have it in drive etc. If I try to skip this file, same error accurs with every file from image.

It seems that setup cannot access any file from image.

I tried everything - reinstal RIS, make new images... I even phoned M$ support. They said that this is interesting problem and never called me back. :realmad:

I forgot to say that new computer have identical hardvare as computer used to create image from.

What should I do?

Before W2k3 Server, i used W2k Server, and there were no problems. I hate to go back. :}

• 3 months later...

did you ever manage to solve this RIS problem??

i sit here for days with the same problem and cannot figure out what might cause it.

installing a flat cd-based image works fine, and when i riprep it back without any modifications, i cannot reinstall it on the very same machine or any other.

blue screen after partitioning and checking harddisk

file \device\harddisk0\partition1\boot.ini could'nt be copied

(free translation from the german error message, but i guess its the same problem)

RIS- server is a SBS2003. os to install is XP-SP2

Edited by azurro

Hi

I had a very similar experience with one of my machines some time ago. The build from cd was fine, no errors, but riprep image would give errors all over the place.

Mine turned out to be a memory issue. One of the DIMMs was faulty. Replaced it and all was well.

My other question would be, which service pack level is your flat cd install? Do you install a service pack as one of the updates? If so you need to slipstream the service pack into your flat cd install and re-create the reference machine, then riprep again. RIS doesn't like different service pack levels on standard and riprep sources.

Taz