Internet Problem

Hi everybody

I am having a problem with the internet. My internet is not fully working properly. Sometimes it lets me visit a website and sometimes it doesn’t.

For Local Area Connection 1, it says the network cable is unplugged and it stays like that. But for Local Area Connection 2, in one second it is connected and in the next second it says network cable is unplugged.

I am constantly receiving balloon messages in almost every second saying this

“Local Area Connection 2

A network cable is unplugged.”

I have checked all the cables and there are all plugged. I don’t know why I am keeping on getting this message.

Does anyone know what the problem is?

Regards

Hi,

2 local area connections so you are connected to 2 networks? Try disabling the one that doesn’t connect you to the internet and see if it improves. It could have several reasons for 1 a defective NIC or maybe the cable isn’t connected firmly to the NIC, the cable could also be of low quality or damaged.

Also if you connect to the internet via a router, the router may be defective or having problems, try rebooting it. You nave 2 NICS so you could try if you have more luck with the other and if possible try an other cable.

Another reason could be a virus or some other mall ware. Be sure to do all Spybot scans and virus scans.

I am using a cable modem and it is using a USB lead.

I am not sure why i have got 2 connections in my Network Connections folder.

Local Area Connection and Local Area Connection 2

As my computer is not linked to anyother computer, shouldn't I have just one connection?

It is common to have more than one local area connection if you have more than one NIC or connection, I wouldn't worry about that.

I would try another USB cable first then see what happens. If that doesn't work, get a cat-5 cable and connect your computer to the modem that way just to see if it makes a difference. It could be something with the USB connection, maybe it wasn't installed properly. The USB port on your cable modem could also be bad. It could also be the actual coax cable running to your house from the cable company, but I wouldn't worry about that yet.

If switching cables doesn't work, do what Wyverex said and check for spyware. I recommend downloading Microsoft Antispyware if you are using a Windows 2000 or XP computer. If not get Ad-Aware or Spybot S & D and also get a program called LSP Fix and run that.

Just out of curiosity when did this start happening? Was it always like this or did it just start?