I get wrong cd key msg

Hi, all. Great forums! :P

First of all sorry if this has been posted before but search refused to find it.

I make a slipstreamed Windows XP Pro CD with SP2 and after trying to install i get to the screen where it asks for your CD-KEY which upon entering is reported to be wrong by Windows....

I can't seem to find what the problem is....

Could it be the fact that I copied the xp installation files not from my original cd but from the backup I made?

Also the CD I got with my notebook which is supposed to contain XP home + SP1 just sits and asks for the SP2 cd.

The thing is: SP2 wasn't out when I bought the machine! Could this be due to my installing SP2 over the net? How do I work around this? It doesn't go to the format screen...

Thanks a lot for any input...

Hi, all. Great forums! :P

First of all sorry if this has been posted before but search refused to find it.

I make a slipstreamed Windows XP Pro CD with SP2 and after trying to install i get to the screen where it asks for your CD-KEY which upon entering is reported to be wrong by Windows....

I can't seem to find what the problem is....

Could it be the fact that I copied the xp installation files not from my original cd but from the backup I made?

Also the CD I got with my notebook which is supposed to contain XP home + SP1 just sits and asks for the SP2 cd.

The thing is: SP2 wasn't out when I bought the machine! Could this be due to my installing SP2 over the net? How do I work around this? It doesn't go to the format screen...

Thanks a lot for any input...

there's an xp bug for some p4s models that prevents your key from being authenticated correctly. if you can't enter it even without using the unattended installation then search on microsoft website for the patch (probably somebody here in these forums knows the kb number of it)

thanks man!

it's very strange if you ask me....

it won't authenticate any CD-KEY on my laptop

Not the one I bought from the store, neither the OEM CD I got from the manufacturer.

BTW, I haven't gotten down to making an unattended install just yet...

On Pro I tried slipstreaming the SP2 on the install and the OEM original cd will do the same thing! I can't install Windows and I got a VB exercise to hand in tonight! HEEEEELP!

About the patch: can I slipstream it onto a CD?

If not what do I do with it?

Thanks in advance!