Mindows Project

Aegis

i agree, lets try to get xfs for sure

this will be the best thing in the world

hunt down them files, anyone with google access, lets get this done

whats the chances of getting windows to boot on one of these alternate files systems? Im asking this one to Aegis

i did some benchmarking with clibench, it seems ext3 is the fastest of the ext file systems

ext2 @ the end of my drive, is faster than ntfs @ the beginning of my drive

now all i need to to get it to boot my xp, cause speed, and the fact it can read it is something still

oh and im @ 35MB system32 files, i want less, but i cant, cause i was explorer and themes support too, :(

Edited by gdogg

I remember someone tried to boot windows 3.1 from an EXT2 partition and, as one might guess, it didn't boot.

It doesn't matter that we have an EXT2 driver for Windows XP if we don't have a bootloader that is capable to boot windows from an EXT2 partition.

The bootloader HAS to be capable to boot WINDOWS from an EXT2 partition, it has to be specifically developed to boot windows from such a partition.

Taking NTLDR and trying to boot windows from an EXT2 partition won't work, taking a GRUB or LILO and trying to boot windows from an EXT2 partitin won't work either.

Anyone is free to try, but some have already tried and Windows didn't boot.

At least the driver for the desired partition type and a bootloader capable to boot a windows installed on such a partition type (written specifically for this purpose or a modified version of a bootloader which is licensed under GPL or BSD like GRUB or LILO) is required for this thing to work.

Just putting a driver for a new filesystem in Windows won't make NTLDR boot Windows from such a partition.

The fact that EXT2,EXT3, REISERFS, REISER4 or any other FS is the fastest on Linux, it doesn't mean that's certain to work under windows as fast as it does under Linux.

There's no XFS driver for Windows for the time being.

I will make further investigations. Information about what happens during the windows boot process would be appreciated.

Grub and lilo give back the task of booting windows to NTLDR.

Grub does that by chainloading it (chainload, boots windows by first booting NTLDR which actually boots Windows) and lilo does it by setting an "other" tag on the boot entry (another term for saying that it chainloads Windows).

Edited by razvannh

daaa mmmmn

thats really too bad

i was hoping for a better solution :(

sgi hasn't replyed to my request of there xfs windows driver, :(

too bad, even if i could run my games off of it, i would be happy

on ext2 booting

reactos has (unsupported) support for ext2 booting

and it works with there freeldr,

now how can we use a gpl licenced thing, and make it work for booting windows off of a ext2 drive

heheh, i feel wrong, just thinking about it, but its just too cool

here the chances of getting a xfs driver for windows

The CXFS driver SGI has for Windows is a proprietary product and is separate

to the open source XFS code. So, sorry, but there is nothing we can give you

to help out.

Edited by gdogg

• 1 month later...

Whats going on with this project, I dont mean to be rude. But MicrowinX seems to have stolen the spotlight. While both are VERY similar projects. Why are you guys not working together to make the ONE, ultimate XP??

• 4 weeks later...

hi there

i've been reading and reading the whole thing

i'm just wondering after removing these stuff what kind of programs/processes will work?

only screenshots ppl got in here are the pf size shots.

what will this software(or whatever u want to call it) be mainly used for?

coding? gaming?

u're probably working on this a lot but i think u've failed to say what the purpose of this project is, what kind of users u're targeting and etc...

for example nlite's pretty obvious as u get to choose what to remove. but this? don't even know what the hecks going on.

i'm willing to try it but since i don't know what's going on i hesitate to go through all this copying pasting ripping files from w2k3 longhorn etc..

so can u give better description as to what the heck this project does? maybe some pictures?

thanks

btw: i've been fiddling around with lots of different installers, from nsis to msi stuff. so after i get the purpose of the program i might also be able to help on the setup.

Edited by XtremeMaC

oh and im @ 35MB system32 files, i want less, but i cant, cause i was explorer and themes support too

this would mean that the themeless version of microwinx is less than 35 @ system32 then? hehe :D

about the EXT3 and XFS filesystems. it would be great if it would run under windows. the best thing about linux is that your flexible. if you know how-to code, you can basicaly make your own distro from scratch.

• 1 month later...

thats funny ^^

i added the reg keys from your first file and startet into another windows to replace the winlogon.exe. then restarted the other system and see that it has been logged in as the user "system". after a lot of testing to make it back i get a funny situation :D

first windows wants to login as system but it has the original 400kb winlogon.exe and logs out. but in my registry was autologin written ^^ so it wants to login again. thats funny:

login,logout,login,logout,login,logout,login,logout,login,logout...

endless

now i have reinstalled windows and make a news installation on another harddrive where this is safe to test :)

but its very nice

Sereby

• 8 months later...
ok....mindows is in direct violation of copyright and eula terms.

But seriously, you must have a bad computer if xp crashes and is slow.

Xp w/ sp2 is fine

add zone alarm security suite 6.0 and change active x controls in IE and your good 2 go.

Firefox is not faster than ie, its impossible, ie is integrated, so it will always b the fastest.

i used firefox, it does have some nice features but it doesnt compare 2 ie.

ie 7.0 will blow firefox away. - trust me im on the build team!

Features - RSS Intergration, Tabbed browsing, smarter and safer security, 256 bit encryption, alpha in png images.

Firefox does not download faster or view pages faster, infact some of the sites i went to were layed out worg and messy compared to view them in ie.

i know firefox is still in development.

lol

You sound even worse than Link21! :realmad:

• 9 months later...