Mindows Project

Aegis

This project is not dead, but a resource for the technologically advanced to further minimize their install. In other words, I don't plan to provide support most of the time...

@thepunisher

Check your PMs.

• 2 weeks later...

so how big of a windows will this leave you with

my xp can game, has all my directx files i need, play music, have themes and use the internet, but also cant install programs, (most) run scripts, run basically anything a virus might try and use

i guess were on the same page with my idea and yours, except, yours is using an os no one can afford

but anyway, why soooo much ram usage? is that with video card drivers, cause that will explain it i guess

also plz note, I have done all this on my own in the past 2-3 days with trial and error using clints test as a base + fridge-raiders cleanup files (added back themes removed IE not core) and xp system builder,

Edited by gdogg

well i just read through all of this and it took over an hour....

how stable is this? b/c apparently alot of programs are having problems. and what is the point of having this over an nlited xp? just to free up some ram?

well for many, no explorer/themes is not an option, but you can always do the same thing that Aegis , has done, but for yourself, leaving the files to keep explorer working, and such

or if you wanted, you can take it a step further,

i'd like to find out , why do much memory usage first myself, but if thats with video card drivers loaded, it makes sence then, but if not, its a bit high, even compared to what nlite can do, easily

i have done this myself, making lots of stand alone appz, and such, and it took 3 days so far, including today, and as you can see in my signature, im really close :D

Edited by gdogg

This is very awesome. I just fooled around a bit in VMWare, and came up with one thing that might be useful. I don't know if this was a bug before, but... If you take the imagehlp32.dll (or similar dll name), and put it in the new system32 directory, I'm relatively sure that explorer can be used as a file manager. Of course, I'm an id***, and didn't test this prior to adding the file.

In either case, it might just be a good idea to put the image helper back in, just for good measure.

I must say, 29MB commit charge is impressive, especially on a server OS. I have a feeling that Microsoft is planning on creating something like this in Vista Core Server. (just a command prompt, as far as I know).

Good work to everyone involved in this project!

edit:

mini2k3_1.jpg

Edited by jimmsta

Longhorn Core Server is similar to this, but includes command-line tools to administer servers. If you like this design, just use cmd.exe as your shell.

A commit charge of ~30MB is average for the Server edition, but with some file modifications, you can minimize XP with the file list, and consume only 20MB.

If you want 32-bit colors and high resolution, like I have in my screenshot, you will have to install the graphics driver beforehand. Or you can copy over the generic display drivers, which I think are:

vga*.dll

framebuf.dll

^Can anyone confirm for me if these files are it? If you do have an NVIDIA graphics card, you can try nvidiabeta.zip, but you still need to install the NVIDIA graphics drivers beforehand.

i deleted vga.dll and vga256.dll and my system is still running fine. only the vga64k.dll is needed.

I forgot to enable my audio service beforehand. How do I enable it now? I also have a list of serivces I will need such as (plug and play). I tried to run service.msc but it's not working.

also what do you guys recommend for a video(divx) player? I can't get media player classic to work. The error code is showed in my screen shot.

post-67245-1124445116_thumb.jpg

Edited by PatrickDL

Your system looks very nice :D. And thanks again for testing ;). Even if you do enable audio service, you will not be able to hear anything because the service is dependant on some files. I haven't been able to test what files are needed since I have no speakers, but your best bet is to enable the correct services using Recovery Console, then copy audiosrv.dll.

As for your Media Player problem, I think you are missing codecs, which are the *.acm files. Copy those over and see if it works.

Edited by Aegis