• Compaq
    • Dell
    • Hp
    • Toshiba
    • emachines
    • acer
    • sony
    • Other (What?)

I agree dell is the best (for customer support reasons). But my vote went to HP (should have been a choice for HP/Compaq since they are the same company).

The reason I voted for HP is the fact that dell has a contract with Intel... so as of now you can't purchase any AMD computers from dell. :( Mainly the Athlon 64 which kicks intels a**! :D

My vote goes to Steve Wozniak. Ok, he's not a manufacturer himself but he literaly built the words first commercal personel computer in a garrage back in 1974. Check this out. There should be a statue built of this guy.

I've built computers for myself and my customers since the days of the old IBM XT Clone.

Since I recently retired, I've stopped building PC's for others.

I suggest to my customers to go to Circuit City and look for a good deal.

I've found that the new eMachines are excellent and have far less "Garbage" software installed than the HP's or Compaq's.

And you can still get them with AMD processors. :yes:

Dell, however is putting out some real c.r.a.p.......Genuine Intel Celeron Processors,

weak power supplies, win modems and drives mounted in plastic where there is absolutely NO heat sinking possible. Their 'thin line' model is a total "throw away" computer. :no:

That's just the opinion of a Computer Service Tech that has to deal with this stuff on a daily basis. I'm at the point of refusing to take a call on a Dell.

Cheers,

Andromeda43 B)

in terms of value id say dell, you cant beat their economies of scale even when building your own. in terms of building the perfect setup you gotta do it yourself or commission someone to do so if you dont have the ability (hey not everyone is so inclined as we are). however on the poll i voted sony, their pcs/notebooks arent the fastest or the quietest, or the cheapest... but all sony products have an aesthetic quality which ive rarely seen elsewhere.

Edited by ironfist241

First off all,all computer companies put there name on the computer when they realy dont build anything them selves,accept for HP.

Dell is trying to take Hp on in the printer business,when lexmark is biulding there printers for them,Hp is the #1 and the largest printer Manufacturer in the world.Dell will never be able to take on HP know matter how much they realy want to.

Sorry Dell never going to happen.

But i do agree with building your own is better.

Thank you, someone knows the truth.

These companies dont actually make anything, they are just branding cheap pcs from Chinese OEMS! Your best off building it yourself. B)

• 4 months later...

Other, in the Uk I'd suggest Fujitsu corporate boxes (built and supported very well) or Dell as the they've driven the price point for a "basic computer" down with some excellent offers. I support HP/Compaq for a living and frankly can't recommend em.

Personally I'll build my own still, and have nearly stopped building them for clients too as i can't compete with dell, etc for a basic pc - games machines are a different story and here i'd recommend SavRow or Mesh in the UK.

As far as Laptops go stick with coporate models only from IBM or Dell, HP are Ok but can be troublesome. corporate models are best as the parts supply is usually excellent, and you can pick up some excellent deals on 1-2 year old refurb thinkpads and Lattitudes.

Regards

Ian

if the machine going to cost over 1000 bucks. its more than likely going to be doing something specfic.

-gaming

-server (needing reduency)

-video

from ram, cpu, hard drive, video, sound, motherboard, powersupply, battery back up. each compent can be bought oem style online or through some friend that has a deal with some dealer somewere. can be boiught less and get more / better than what is currently on market in big boy manufactors.

if the machine is less than 1000, its not worth building. by the time you count time put in, shipping / sales tax, finding and ordering. you will find yourself over the cost of a web browsering, emailing, spreadsheet, computer from a manufactor that has installed other misc software that would give the average joe something to learn by.

dell dell dell dell dell :D

What does this hav to do with windows xp?

and its kinda funny, cuz i posted a topic like this here and almost everyone said custom built, i guess its further proof that its the way too go (but not for me cuz i'm to lazy :lol: )

Edited by wolf7448

Dell is trying to take Hp on in the printer business,when lexmark is biulding there printers for them,Hp is the #1 and the largest printer Manufacturer in the world.Dell will never be able to take on HP know matter how much they realy want to.

Not true, u just havent done your research! Lexmark are not making the printers for Dell, yes they are VERY alike BUT have you looked at a Brother printer lately? they all just followed a patern to make printers! Yes lexmark chose it first But it is just a patern, noone is making printers for anyone and if you look there are little differences. And no dell are not trying to take hp "on" in the printer business, they are just trying to get into the printer business, a failed atempt i must say, cuz u cant buy there F%$#@^ ink cartriges from anywhere except staples and ther always sold out! :realmad:

I'm ok :D

Edited by wolf7448

Steven, you do know that Alienware is an SI right?

They don't actually make the computers just throw in the custom parts and slap on the alienware logo.

I agree that building your own is good, however if your going for a laptop

www.abs.com

is the SI I personally use, just got a Mayhem G4 Revolution from them three weeks ago, works like a dream, and games well too ^^

Btw, they also have a DIY section for laptops if you guys wanna build your own lappies :D