Which OS is better?  

657 members have voted

1. 1. Which OS is better?

• Windows Xp Home
    • Windows Xp Pro
    • Windows Server 2003
    • Windows Media Edition
    • Windows Xp Pro 64bit Edition

I wish people would only reply with comparison info on each OS instead of simple replies of why their OS is best for them. That doesn't really help others.

if you want a comparison then i would have to say that x64 just seems faster than xp. it also seems to be more stable, i cant remember the last time i got a bsod in x64. x64 sp2 seems even faster than sp1, its unbeleivable.

I wish people would only reply with comparison info on each OS instead of simple replies of why their OS is best for them. That doesn't really help others.

100% agree. But it was a flawed question to start with. Asking "what OS is better" is exactly like asking "what vehicle is better", or "what tool is better". Without a specific use in mind (best desktop OS, for general use, or gaming perhaps), the results won't be too relevant. And there will always be a fair amount of exceptions (someone using their desktop for something special) and extremists (especially the "everything new is bloated" folks) as well as those running on pretty old hardware which just can't run modern OS'es too well.

And the thread is too old anyways. In over 1 1/2 years, lots has changed. New OSes, new service packs, driver availability for certain OSes has changed quite a bit, x64 hardware is more common, PCs are somewhat faster than they were, etc. And since then, I'm sure lots changed their minds (like ripken204 did), and can't change their votes either.

I just don't see the usefulness of it at all.

XP Tablet edition :) I spend 80% of my time using that now. but then that's kinda specific to hardware. I like both 2k3 and xp pro for normal desktops and 2k3 is obviously very good on servers. My small experiences with home have all be very painful as i quickly find stupid limitations like simple file sharing or 5 concurrent tcp/ip connections.

100% agree. But it was a flawed question to start with. Asking "what OS is better" is exactly like asking "what vehicle is better", or "what tool is better". Without a specific use in mind (best desktop OS, for general use, or gaming perhaps), the results won't be too relevant. And there will always be a fair amount of exceptions (someone using their desktop for something special) and extremists (especially the "everything new is bloated" folks) as well as those running on pretty old hardware which just can't run modern OS'es too well.

And the thread is too old anyways. In over 1 1/2 years, lots has changed. New OSes, new service packs, driver availability for certain OSes has changed quite a bit, x64 hardware is more common, PCs are somewhat faster than they were, etc. And since then, I'm sure lots changed their minds (like ripken204 did), and can't change their votes either.

I just don't see the usefulness of it at all.

Yup.

Topic Closed