Which OS is better?  

657 members have voted

1. 1. Which OS is better?

• Windows Xp Home
    • Windows Xp Pro
    • Windows Server 2003
    • Windows Media Edition
    • Windows Xp Pro 64bit Edition

W2K3 has a later NT version, but most importantly a better memorymanagement...speaking in layman's terms

it holds a bigger part of memory ready for "action"..making it use a bit more but also more responsive.

..as for that thing i have maid, I doubt it will be posted here or on other site...to much headache when ppl can't follow simple instructions, sorry.

..I think I will have to delet that other post, it was kinda off-topic anyhow. :)

Edited by Clint

• 2 weeks later...

based on value per $ (or Euro in my case), i voted XP64 instead of Server2003, also because i think MOST (not all) here who, run 2003 as a workstation,

1 > hardly know what they are playing with (just folowing a guyde doesn't make you an expert),

2 > most of the also run it without a proper licence - with i think is B*tchy.

3 > Server 2003 will in most cases not let you use - ell-cheapo firewalls and virus-scanners.

so i chose xp64 instead.

I have XP Home in my notebook ,but I think XP PRO is better because of its security. :)
I think it's the opposite actually... Pro probably has more potential security holes since it's designed with remote administration and connections in mind.
based on value per $ (or Euro in my case), i voted XP64 instead of Server2003, also because i think MOST (not all) here who, run 2003 as a workstation,

1 > hardly know what they are playing with (just folowing a guyde doesn't make you an expert),

2 > most of the also run it without a proper licence - with i think is B*tchy.

3 > Server 2003 will in most cases not let you use - ell-cheapo firewalls and virus-scanners.

so i chose xp64 instead.

XP64 still has compatibility issues with drivers and the like. I know manufacturers who release AMD64 based computers and don't have the 64-bit drivers for the rest of their hardware...*cough*Gateway*cough*

I'm running the 180-day trial of Server 2003 at home... because it's free. I mean... re-installing from a UACD isn't that much of a hassle every 6 months when what you're getting is free. There's nothing against doing so in the EULA.

Yes, it's true that Win2K3 won't let you install some programs or drivers (Logitech webcam drivers for example...), but then again, I don't think that it was really meant for someone to sit at and chat over MSN or Skype...

Zxian: Did you know that you can get a legal license of 2k3 through our university's cpcs department? Since I took one cpsc course this term, I got access to the MSDNAA software. Here is what we can get:

Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition

Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition

Windows Server 2003 Web Edition

Windows XP Professional with SP2 (Single User) ISO Image

Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005

SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition

Visual Studio .NET 2003 professional

Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition

Project Professional 2003

OneNote 2003

Visio Professional 2003

Windows Services for UNIX 3.5

MapPoint 2004 North America

Virtual PC 2004 with SP1

Heres the link: MSDNAA

]Bonkers[

Edited by ]Bonkers[

Yeah, I know we've got access to that. I'm gonna look into that next term when I'm back in classes, but for the past year, one re-install of Server 2003 has done me well for my second computer (which in its original revision had Millenium on it). :)

• 2 weeks later...

I will go with XP 64 since it is based on Windows 2003 SP1 and also is 64 bit capable. So it is practically the best of both worlds. The only problem I see is that not every one has 64 bit processors and not all manufacturers have relased 64 bit software. But that will change with the upcoming Vista which will have a 64 bit flavor. I think at that time a wise upgrade from 32 bit XP would be to 64 bit XP while MS works out all the kinks in Vista.

Vista is the regular OS and the Longhorn is the server OS. Vista nad Longhorn are based on wind 2k3 SP1 as is XP 64 bit.