657 members have voted

1. 1. Which OS is better?

• Windows Xp Home
    • Windows Xp Pro
    • Windows Server 2003
    • Windows Media Edition
    • Windows Xp Pro 64bit Edition

How did XP Home get on there, I'd take ME over XP Home
You've got to be kidding, right? XP anything is better than Millenium...
Win2kPro for personal. Like it better than XP Pro b/c XP has too much bloat. Clean install of Win2kPro SP4 is 450 MB. XP is 3.5GB. WTF is with the extra 3 GB?
A clean install of XP on my VMware is 1.5GB. Not 3.5GB. XP Pro, no extras, no nLite. Not sure where you get the extra 3GB from.
@jcarle, What is the RAID5 hack?
Just google it. As for what it does, it allows you to run a software RAID5 array just like you could with Server versions of Windows. The RAID5 array is not hard drive type limited either, so you can mix SATA with PATA drives at will.

XP Pro has some extra "toys" which Home doesn't. I still prefer Win 2000.

XP is 3.5GB. WTF is with the extra 3 GB?

What the Hell are you installing? My XP "Windows" folder is no more than 1.5Gb. What else do you have which uses 2.0Gb??

@keytotime - I was looking for that THG article...That's the one that explains it all...

@FAT64 - They're not just "toys" in XP Pro. They're features that admins may need for properly configuring a network. Not to mention that File&Printer Sharing (i.e. proper permissions) is a lot easier in Pro.

Vanilla XP (My "XP Home SP1 Reinstallation CD from Dell") takes up almost 1GB, but not quite. It takes up about 215-220 MBs after I nLite it.

Which OS is better... whichever one you find yourself most comfortable in for what you want from your PC. I personally like XP Pro.

I tested Clints XP and 2k3 both are excellent. I am still using his xp as my main OS and has taken everything I have thrown at it. It has been on here about a year now I have only rebooted about 5 or 6 times, then only because of installing software.

I have the 2k3 installed on an old HP. 600 mhz, 64 mb ram. It has been running about 6 months without reboot which is amazing cause it is a knock around computer for kids to play games on. Kids cant make this OS stop working.

His 2k I could imagine would bring new life to computers which was doomed to computer heaven.

I just answered this question on another forum, I said then almost the same, (XP Home V XP Pro) but apparently not. Bit I am only Joe Bloggs and steer clear of these discussions.

It seems MS will be supporting XP Pro years after XP Home. So that alone makes it better. :hello:

I have XP Pro.

Edited by BIGbadjohn

Windows Server 2003 is 200 times better that XP Pro. I have had 2003 running since it came out. SP1 made 2003 even better. The only thing i like about XP Pro, is most of my customers have it, and they call my company about every 6 months to fix their puters.

It's amazing that everyone who's tried both says that Win2k3 is MUCH better than XP Pro.

I don't get why that is? Shouldn't Win2k3 be the same as XP Pro with server stuff added in and consumer stuff tossed out?

I guess what I'm wondering is what did M$ put into XP Pro that makes it so inferior to Win2k3?

Re XP Pro taking over 1GB with SP1, how much does it take with SP2? Probably in the 1.5GB range.

Re Clint, do you have a web page on how you modded XP?