Which OS is better?  

657 members have voted

1. 1. Which OS is better?

• Windows Xp Home
    • Windows Xp Pro
    • Windows Server 2003
    • Windows Media Edition
    • Windows Xp Pro 64bit Edition

No, Longhorn is next generation OS (9x - NT - ?)...
Longhorn IS revolution - kernel dont need include major changes (since NT), the importing stuff is above kernel - for me personally it is monad for management purposes, with specially designed cmdlets for server components...

That's what I wanted to say, its not 9x - NT - Longhorn, Longhorn is NT based, and the major improvements are pointed out, i.e. WinFS.

It's just again a product to pull everyone to buy new PCs, and this capitalistic action I won't follow...

That's what I wanted to say, its not 9x - NT - Longhorn, Longhorn is NT based, and the major improvements are pointed out, i.e. WinFS.

It's just again a product to pull everyone to buy new PCs, and this capitalistic action I won't follow...

I don't think that it's just a pull for people to buy a new product. You can probably say that about WinME, but not Longhorn. There's a bunch of new stuff under the hood already and an improved UI.

As for the push for new PCs... people said that about XP as well. My newest computer is my laptop, and it's about 1.5 years old now. I've installed XP on a system with a PII-300MHz processor and 64MB of RAM. Yeah, it wasn't the fastest system, but given the hardware I was working with, I was firmly impressed that it runs as smoothly as it does. If you want all the fancy graphics and whatnotof Longhorn, then you'll need a newer PC... doesn't have to be top of the line though.

But do you really think, they build so good-looking effects, just for fun? Everyone wants to have these effects and go to buy a new PC. Lets see what Longhorn brings, 'till now I say: NO! Longhorn won't find it's way onto my HD!

Do you see a great difference between xp pro and home?

The only things that I noticed are that homes lacks iis remote desktop and some network utilities but I don't think that, like one of you said, it has better memory management device management etc: the kernel is still the same. Maybe there are some different registry parameters I'm not aware know, but when I did some benchmarks time ago I got almost the same results with home/pro versions of xp.

I think win2003 is the best one (if well configured) except for all problems with those nasty drivers/installers that look at the windows version and won't install on 2003 even if you use change it to a workstation (fortunately somebody invented tweaknt). However that's not ms fault :P

From when I installed sp1 I could notice that now finally microsoft closed almost all the nasty open ports (yeah i'm talking about epmap etc): I can finally get on internet without a firewall without having those internet worms connecting to my windows trying to exploit something (**** I hate them: all those connections just waste bandwith!).

Also with 2003 I can do things like copying 4 4gb files simultaneously to a partition to another in the same hd and having them going at full speed because, differently from xp, windows 2003 with it's bigger file caches etc exploits your ram very well (unless you don't have 64mb of ram). Unfortunately xp comes with those cache settings locked.

And you can't do nothing about that :angrym: :angrym: ... NOTHING!!! Muahahaha!!! (evil grin)

/me escapes by launching himself from his airplane without realizing that he took his win2003 server's case instead of the parachute!!

BTW you can install media center with plus! accessories on win2003 (just search on google you should find the tutorial) so you can get everything from it! What could you desire more?

This is a bogus question! It depends on what you want to use your machine for. If you need a server machine the best OS is Windows Server 2003. If you have a 64 bit machine I would go with XP 64. If you are going to have a normal workstation and purchasing windows and it’s a home user I would recommend XP home but if they want more security and such I would say XP pro. Each OS is good in its own way!!! I can’t vote on this.

This is a bogus question! It depends on what you want to use your machine for. If you need a server machine the best OS is Windows Server 2003. If you have a 64 bit machine I would go with XP 64. If you are going to have a normal workstation and purchasing windows and it’s a home user I would recommend XP home but if they want more security and such I would say XP pro. Each OS is good in its own way!!! I can’t vote on this.

Well i suppose that the os that has more features wins. win2003 does most things than any of those that's why I suppose it's better :P

Well the only thing it lacks are xp games and mce but they can be easily installed (themes etc can just be enabled by starting services etc there's a post that I did on the win2003 forum with some scripts. If the user wants to spend some time configuring its os well, win2003 is the best choice (except for its price). Windows xp pro doesn't offer such interesting things that justify the price diference from xp home, you can use vnc isntead of remote desktop and apache instead of iis and save some money. Also there are freeware alternatives to media center that look decent.

If one wants to save money xp home is the right one :P

Ok, but for laptop users, that's no option, no hibernation, no powermanagement, no device drivers etc....

or can you enable these functions?

Longhorn is not a revolution, it uses an updated W2k3 NT-Kernel.

You have them all in 2K3 as well, just a matter of some settings.. ;)

Personally I use 2K3 in my old Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook B-2130 with a Celeron 400 and 128mb mem.(heavily tweaked)..2K3 just uses ur memory and resources more efficient than in XP...

When I boot my tinytop everyone with no exception is amazed how fast and smooth it is.. :lol: ...I even did try hosting RIS directly to another oldie laptop...took it's time but did actually got through :thumbup

WinXP Pro x64 Bit

I use both WinXP Pro 32 Bit and x64 Bit.. and I love the x64 Bit OS, especially when it comes to running daily applications like Acrobate Reader, Photoshop, etc.. cause it loads and runs them much much faster.. I also like it's gaming Features, tho my FPS remain about the same, or sometimes a little higher, graphics are more crisp and detailed...

Sad, no one is voting for Windows XP Media Center Edition... It's just as good as Professional, if fact it IS Professional!

The only feature you loose in Media Center is the ability to join a domain, which makes it cheaper than Professional and you get more cool stuff. But there is a way to get it to join (no, it doesn't involve warez or cracks"), but you can't use the Media Center shell if you do.

i agree that there's not much *practical* difference between xp home & pro (at least for me) other than the price. so far, i'd have to vote xp {home/pro... to me its basically the same thing} but at the same time, I'm thinking I might have to give 2k3 server a try after all the praise i've seen it getting...

no ME option? lol :P

i voted XP Pro, i once tried 2003 server and the key i had didnt work :rolleyes: then i got a tweaked version from a friend and havent really tried it out, i installed it played with it a few mins and was like ehh i dont really like it. thats also what i said when xp came out (i was runnin 2000 pro) now its all i use, i went back to 2000 pro and couldnt stand it! :lol: sooner or later im gonna give 2003 another try, although its gonna take some getting used to... cuz in xp pro i use all the pretty themes and stuff, such as the side panel, i love that thing now, at first i hated it, but now i love it..... i guess i shall try the tweaked 2003 server ;)

I'm thinking I might have to give 2k3 server a try after all the praise i've seen it getting...

I can asure you, you won't be dissapointed. ;)

no ME option? lol  :P

ME? :D That's a bad joke, not an OS. :no:

just downloaded 2k3 trial last night I'll try it out as soon as i get time

as for ME yes I was j/k (although I did once know someone ---cough*WEIRDO*cough --- who actually liked that "bad joke" more than xp. And yes i do think there was/IS something wrong with him.)