Which OS is better?  

657 members have voted

1. 1. Which OS is better?

• Windows Xp Home
    • Windows Xp Pro
    • Windows Server 2003
    • Windows Media Edition
    • Windows Xp Pro 64bit Edition

:thumbup i use pro sp2 i go to a ton of freeware sites download plenty of proggie and so far no spyware or trogans its never froze or locked up in fact i cant seem to kill it so pro is the way to go. hail msfn

2003 server anytime, it has by far better memorymanagement than XP and also using a later NT version....thats change when XP64 is here though.

I'm sick of heraing ppl say "2003 server is an server os NOT an workstation os"...it will run aruond XP in circles given you have configured it right.

With the sp1 2003 even has full support for High Definition Audio and also has DirectX 9c built in.

:yes:

I'll say that for value per dollar, XP wins the competition.

Since there's no mention of price here, I'll go with 2003 server. I've got the trial version of Enterprise Edition here, and I'm blown away. I left it on for over a week before I got my new hard drive and its was absolutely rock solid. Just as fast the moment I turned it off as when I first turned it on. I've never been able to say that about XP... it's good, just not as good.

The fact that DirectX 9.0c and WMP10 are built into SP1 is a nice plus too.

Ok, but for laptop users, that's no option, no hibernation, no powermanagement, no device drivers etc....

or can you enable these functions?

Longhorn is not a revolution, it uses an updated W2k3 NT-Kernel.

True, mobile users are different category.

Longhorn IS revolution - kernel dont need include major changes (since NT), the importing stuff is above kernel - for me personally it is monad for management purposes, with specially designed cmdlets for server components...

EDIT: It is the same like comparison with other MS products - Xbox use NT kernel, XP Embedded use NT kernel, smartphones use IMHO NT kernel...

Its a bit general a question - which one is best really but I have to say XP Pro based on functionality & compatibility for end-users.

server 2003 for dedicated server systems (no flaming pls)

Regards,

Nath.