Can not make back up copy of XP

deanderose

First thing is that I am trying to make my back up copy of the XP operating system. The problem I am having is that it keeps telling me to put in a blank DVD and I am using brand new ones. I do not know why it thinks the DVDs have any info on them.

Second, I forget how to move a shortcut to a program to the taskbar on the bottom so I can access it easier.

Thanks

first , unlock the taskbar .

if now the drag and drop dont work ,

open the taskbar folder (click right on the vertical_dots_double_line on left

and choose <open the folder> . you can copy there anything you want ,

inclusive links . is just a folder.

First thing is that I am trying to make my back up copy of the XP operating system. The problem I am having is that it keeps telling me to put in a blank DVD and I am using brand new ones. I do not know why it thinks the DVDs have any info on them.
You failed to mention "what" you are using in order to back up XP... i.e. What program are you using?

Try to give us as much info as to what you are doing and what you are using too.

Also, are you using DVD-R or DVD-RW? Have you tried both types? have you tried using a + type instead of a - type?

Second, I forget how to move a shortcut to a program to the taskbar on the bottom so I can access it easier.

If your refering to creating shortcuts on the Quick Launch toolbar on your taskbar, then you can simply browse to:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

(replacing <username> with your username lol)

and add or remove shortcuts there easily. You can even add folders to there and split the shortcuts up if you prefer.

It's simple enough though just to drag any file or shortcut onto the Quick Launch area (next to Start button in most cases) and position the arrow between the icons already there - you'll see a black line appear. Release the mouse button and a shortcut should be created there - if you slip and highlight one of the icons, the icon's program you highlighted will run instead hehe

There's no need to unlock the taskbar first.

Regards,

Nath

As for the Quicklaunch that people are talking about, it could be that it hasn't been turned on for the system.

Right click on the taskbar and select Toolbars->Quick Launch. You should get a number of icons that show up beside the start button. Now you can drag and drop to your heart's content. Unlocking the taskbar will allow you to resize the quicklaunch area to show more than the default 3 icons.

Hope this helps!