T1 On Router...

Hmm.. I'm doing this job this week and tommorow im gonna try to figure out the T1 connection so I'm sure I can continue the job next week at this company.. they have a bunch of old s*** (80% coax cables, coax hubs, pos pc running a very very old linux dump as firewall etc. etc.) Well, to get to the point, I was wondering if a Linksys 8port router would do for a T1 router, to my knowledge the T1 modems are about the same as ADSL (way to set them up?!) I think I won't have any problems.. Just making sure, would one of these kind of routers do for that connection? And how would I set this part up:

linksys_t1.gif

Then when I get the inet to work I'll know the rest for the new hubs ima place in and all the cables etc. etc. ..

Thanks for all your help :)

Hey Filer,

What type of T1 circuit do you have? Frame Relay?, anyhoo you'd have have to terminate the T1 connection into a CSU/DSU (kinda like a modem) at which point you would run a patch cable from this DSU/CSU to a router. As for your WAN connection, who provides your Internet port and have they assigned you a static IP address or a dynamic IP address?

Hope this gives you a bit of heads up

yes. just arrived, I'm looking at it, and it is setup like this:

The T1 modem is a: T1 DSU/CSU Digital Link Prelude Encore

After that, theres a computer with an old linux distro on it "Red Hat Linux 6.1 Publisher's Edition (cartman)" there's 2 network cards in there, where in the 1st one theres the cable coming from the modem, then the cable from that goes to the 1st hub and then from there it connects to all the other hub points...

I'm thinking that I need some special router, and with me I have my D-Link wireless modem to figure the internet connection out..

-Internet Connection is from KMC telecomunications

I think this is the webpage: http://www.kmctelecom.com/services/cleart.cfm

Thanks for your help...

Hmm, will I need a special router.. I just called they're isp and they gave me the ip, gateway. and sub.. So I connected it and it didnt work.. I assume that I have to set it as static ip since it is.. And PPPoe is for ADSL..So, think I have to get a different router?

• 2 months later...

I forgot how it turned out.. lol this was a while ago, they had a connection of 768/768 but it was very slow, and they were paying $500++ for some dumb pos 80's linux pc acting as a firewall and their T1 gateway, some bullshi.. then I convinced him that that price was way off, and hooked em up with a Road Runner Businesss class, he's now paying way less, and his speeds are perfect... I set it up with a set of new 100base hubs around the office and where the RR modem was, I installed a 8-port Linksys Router...

Sounds like it worked out well. I have a date set with a Fibre installation next Tuesday. They are coming out to see if they can run the fiber into my apartment.. I can't wait.. hehehehe

but knowing me, they won't be able to..

:)