First Baby Of The New Year Born To Lesbians

sedative

The 5-pound 2-ounce girl emerged into this world one minute after midnight, and by yesterday afternoon, all the usual "First Baby of the Year" celebratory trappings had been assembled in the hospital lobby.

The reporters and microphones and cameras and tripods. The proud hospital staff. And at the center of all the attention, amid family members, the snoozing, swaddled being who knows little of the world beyond the new year.

There were the usual words, too.

"She's adorable. She's perfect. She's brilliant. All those good things."

Yet for all the ways in which the scene at Inova Fair Oaks Hospital was a familiar one, neither the media crowd that had gathered nor the legal system in Virginia was fully ready for this baby and its family.

The infant girl, conceived through artificial insemination, will have two mommies: Helen Rubin, 33, who gave birth, and Joanna Bare, 35, her partner.

"Can we get a picture of the baby with its mother?" someone from the media pack asked.

"Sure -- which mother would you like?" Bare responded.

Photos were taken both ways.

But while the media barrage provided a few awkward moments yesterday afternoon -- the biological father is a family friend whom the couple declined to identify -- Virginia's legal system has proved less hospitable.

Just last week, the couple moved from Vienna to Bethesda because in Virginia, they said, it would be impossible for the couple to share full parental rights. Bare is seeking to adopt the child, giving her parental rights along with Rubin, the birth mother.

"Virginia does not permit second-parent adoption," said the couple's attorney, Mina Ketchie of Arlington, whose practice focuses on alternative family law. "Quite frankly, in these matters of law, Virginia is being dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century -- and we're in the 21st century. It is not a very gay-friendly state."

Read the rest: Washington Post

Very interesting story.

This is a pretty good story. I heard about another '1st' baby of the new year - this one was 1 of 2 twins. The 1st twin was born at 11:58 PM on Dec 31 2002. The 2nd twin was born at 12:01 AM on Jan 1 2003. that will be great - twins with birth days on different days/years. hahahahaha

LS_Dragons

They should come to montreal. I think we got loads of gays...

thats a bit harsh lol..

What's harsh about stating a fact? If he says there are a lot of gays in Montreal...then I imagine gay people would want to go there. If he told me there were lots of babes in Montreal and I was single...well then I might go!

Rick :)