I think I messed up Outlook 2003

I made a custom CD of XP PRO SP2 and I removed outlook express. As a result I

believe this has caused my installation of Outlook 2003 to not work properly.

Specifically I can't access my email, everything else works. I did some searching

on google and I became aware the Outlook 2003 uses outlook express for some

"stuff" This is only a hypothesis and I haven't been able to validate any others.

Specifically I'm trying to sync up my gmail account. I know its not a problem with

my settings since I have been able to retrieve my email from another computer.

Additionally I have also been able to access my email using Mozilla Thunderbird from

my computer. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated. I

really don't wanna have to format and make a new cd.

So I guess my questions are:

Can I fix this without reinstalling outlook express?

How do I reinstall outlook express? (I have tried installing it before however I get a

message saying that I can't install it because there is a newer version already on my

computer, since outlook express installed with IE)

This is not a solution to your problem but an alternative suggestion.

Why not continue to use Thunderbird as your main email client? If you need calendar functionality, download the Mozilla Sunbird addon for Thunderbird. (Make sure you save the file, don't open it with Firefox.) Then open up Thunderbird, select Extensions from the Tools menu and browse to where you dowloaded the .xpi addon.

I've just installed Sunbird for Thunderbird and it's fantastic! Once it's installed select Calendar from the Tools menu. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. :)

2Jamey: I must say I am glad you posted is with comment "This is not a solution to your problem but an alternative suggestion.". Quite unusual these days :(

2notquiteanewbie: MS is based on objects, that is why I dont like removing system components - you wont be able to find out where is the problem later.

I would recommend you two steps:

1.) run sfc /scannow - it should restore system components.

2.) run repair in Outlook - it will restore KeyPath objects from installation. If any OE object is set as keypath with newer version, it will restore him. You can find restore in Help - Detect and repair

Well Thunderbird really isn't an option since this is primarily for work use. I got my first

full time job and I'm trying to set up my home machine so everything works

properly. Additionally I'm getting a Pocket PC as a perk so mainly there is a

convenience factor involved. Thanks soulin, I will try your suggestion and reply on my

success/failure. :) Thanks again everyone

So its been a few days later, and the problem has yet to be resolved. I have since

made a new xp pro sp2 disc and still nothing. looks like a format is in order, unless

someone can recommend another solution. The enclosed image is the error message

I am getting.

post-41152-1117773553_thumb.png