XP w/sp1 sp2 slipstream problem

People,

I've been wrestling with this for a while now and I can't seem to get it resolved.

I have xp pro w/sp1 disc. I can create an ua disc, install, then update with sp2. I cannot, however, integrate sp2 and get it to install.

First, when trying to integrate, update exits with error because of other updates.

ok so i remove or rename svcpack.inf and integration completes without error.

Now if i create iso from this I get ntfs.sys corrupt. Well, checking things out there is a version mismatch between ntorkrnl.exe and ntfs.sys. I can remedy this by either regressing ntoskrnl or replacing ntfs.sys with a newer version.

If I make the iso from this, text mode setup completes without error but after first reboot it errors with

stop:c000035 {unable to locate component}

this application has failed to start because winsrv was not found. Re-installing

the application may fix the problem.

this happens with or without removing components.

I have checked the VPC vhd install with UBCD and the reg entery is there, the file is in /system32. I've tried placing winsrv.dll in several location, even in the iso but to no avail.

reading the KB article doesn't offer any help because there is not a tv media issue here that I can see.

As a next to the next to the last resort, I tried Ryan's update pack. Same story.

I forgot to mention I added a detachedprogram in winnt.sif to see if it gives an indication of when the error occurs. The prog is never executed. So it points to the gui boot up. :}

Can someone give me an idea where to look?

My last resort is to make a multi cd install and that kinda takes the whole point away of doing an unattended install. sorry no dvd burner yet.

Ps sorry for the long post.